A different type of integration question

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
I will be setting up my breeding pens this weekend, and my BBS pen birds will all be new to each other (mostly). I am leaving a 1 1/2 year old splash hen in the coop I will be using. She was hatched and raised in that coop. I will be adding two 2 year old hens to the splash's coop. These 2 hens were hatched and raised together, are strongly bonded and can be "mean girls". Then I have the 10 month old cockerel to add.

I'm wondering if there is a right order or wrong order to add these birds? I am concerned for the single splash hen going against the mean girls, but since its already her territory maybe she'll have the upper hand? Or should I integrate the cockerel to the splash hen first, so she'll have an ally against the 2 hens?? How about integrating all at the same time? The coop is big enough for me to section off a part for the 2 hens, a separate section for the cockerel, and still have room for the splash to have her space. Any suggestions??

Last edited:
I agree, try and see. Might consider pin-less peepers if it goes rough. I am assuming this is a breeding group - so smaller set up? The pin-less peepers can really help in small set ups, from what I understand.

10 month cockerel, might manage things, might not. If the pair, are real aggressive, separating them from each other for a week might help, before you do the mix, then I would mix them all together. Mrs K

@aart The first video is from the door looking in. The corner already sectioned off is for the 2 mean hens. The small space to the left of the panels is where I considered putting the cockerel. It would block off the splash hen from all the nest boxes but I could make something temporary for her. I only do a short (3-4 day) integration period for cocks/cockerels.

This view is from the chicken door side looking towards the man door.

Back
Top Bottom