A different way of loosing chicks to a dog attack

tls_ranch

Stares at Chickens
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Northern California
My Coop
My Coop
I just "lost" two of my EE chicks to a dog attack in a round about way. My mom's dog was running alongside the 4-wheeler. They were out checking the irrigation water which we share with the neighboring ranch. Well, the neighbors didn't tell us they had a chicken running loose. We didn't even know they had chickens. My mom's dog attacked it and it probably won't live. I ended up giving them two of my 4 week old EE chicks as replacements and peace offering. I wasn't responsible or involved, but I felt the need to help my mom make it up to the neighbors for the loss of their chicken. There are no fences between our properties (40 and 20 acre parcels and my mom has easements through their property for water access. So, there wasn't any trespassing. We immediately put a shock training collar on the dog and went back and did some aversion training, but that is all we can do for now. I miss my two chicks Rose and Marigold. But, keeping the peace with the neighbors is very important for my mother.

I'm sorry for you loss but you did the right thing
smile.png

My kids and I are going to really miss the chicks. I feel still feel sorry for my mom. She is 69 years old and the neighbors help her out occasionally with tractor work and such. Of course the do charge her for the work. My mom still does the water and mows with the tractor. I've tried to help, but she alway thinks she's the only one who knows how to to it right. LOL. Her old lab mix keeps her company when she goes out at night. The ranch takes 12 hours to just to water 1/2 of the orchards and often run late into the night.

It was a tough call, but you made it. Good job. I'll bet your mom was proud. You did a stand up thing today even though it really wasn't in any way your fault. If more people took responsibility for the actions of their creatures then...well, then we'd have a much shorter Predators and Pests section.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom