A few gender puzzles. Pic heavy!

ShayBaby

Songster
10 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Lucasville, OH
These are the ones I'm still iffy on. Sorry the camera is lousy.

1. Gold Laced Wyandotte. Approximately 5 months old. I've been sure since a youngster that this was a roo, next to it's pullet companion that sadly passed away, because it's always had a redder comb and is pretty tall and lean, but at 5 months, I'm seeing no roo colors changing, no crows yet, and I don't really see hackles or saddles..? (The hackles look a little pointy because of the lacing, but they're actually pretty rounded.)

2. EE. Girl, right? I kept switching back and forth on this one, because her comb has always been really red, but she's now somewhere between 6-8 months and there are no pointy saddles or hackles. She still hasn't given me any eggs..lucky for her she's pretty..
(No idea why that one turned out with a purple glow.)

3. White Rock. 12 weeks old. No clue on this one. Comb is fairly big and reddish (more peachy in person), but behavior doesn't scream roo to me yet (he/she is actually a big baby).

4. Buff Brahma (LF). Approximately 5 months old. Bought at around 8 weeks old as a started pullet and had no reason to think otherwise. She/he has always looked like a pullet until last couple weeks I've noticed she's looking more and more roo-ish! Now I'm almost convinced Buffy is a boy!? Hackles are looking really pointy for a girl, and sometimes I see pointy saddles..and there's a lot of bright red/rust color coming through in the wings now. Comb is fairly red but not what I'd think to see in a boy. He/she is also pretty tall and lean for a brahma girl. No crowing (or eggs..) yet. Sorry I don't have any good shots of him/her and she/he was pretty muddy in these and his/her feathers are a mess (hence lack of fancy tail feathers I'm assuming now) because another roo picks at him/her. I'm going to give him/her a bath tomorrow, so I can try to get better pics then.

Last edited:
Is that Wyandotte really 5 months in those pics? It looks a lot younger.

Anyway, glw is female, ee is female, Rock is male and Brahma is male.

Thanks for the replies. Yep, the glw really is about 5 months old. I've had her since a couple days old. She's pretty small for her age.

Your Golden Laced Wyandotte and Easter Egger are both pullets. The White Rock and Buff Brahma look like cockerels (especially the Buff Brahma).

GLW: pullet If I'm recalling correctly, the cocks only have that pattern on the chest and more solid colors everywhere else.
EE: pullet
White Rock: Oooh, this one is tricky. It's been about five years since our W. Rocks were chicks (we had ordered pullets only). When two of them were a few months old, we got really concerned about their bigger, redder combs and thought they would be roos. Well, they weren't. Some just mature / grow quicker. Yours isn't screaming roo, but it isn't screaming pullet 100% either; though, I'm really leaning more torwards pullet, because she's got a straight tail and she doesn't have what I call a roo eye like your Brahma has in his eye photo.
Buff Brahma: cockerel

Hope that helps a bit! : )

Thanks for the additional replies! So strange to me, Buffy suddenly being a boy..lol. Good to know on the first two. I just wasn't sure at what age a GLW roo's color started changing. The general consensus seems cockerel on the White Rock. I'm fine with it either way. On one hand I'm actually hoping for roo so I can play around with his genes and breeding. The comb has me thrown off too, PioneerPrincess. He's my first WR, but I've raised a BR and her comb came in BIG and red really early, too, so this one I'm still a bit iffy on.
Really, thanks for the replies though, folks! Really appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom