A few of my birdies!

Usul

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 24, 2010
I've had most of these birds for about eight months now. I adopted them when my neighbor left, and since then I've begun to add to the flock. But I still don't know jack about breeds. I've looked at the excellent breed resource pages here, but I still have some doubts as to what my birdies are. I believe they are mixes. BTW, all of these have single combs.

First, here is the main roo (Zararoostra) with one of our hens Monet (who maybe is a Dominique?):

58476_zararoostra_monet.jpg

And here is Chagall (another Dominique?) with Small Fry (??), up front:

58476_chagall_smallfry.jpg

And here the second batch (born around April 13):

58476_elizabeth_batch.jpg

Anyone have any ideas about any of these? Including the chicks? I'm so new! But I love it!

Last edited:
Here's two more I'm curious about. This one is named is Cleopatra:

58476_cleopatra.jpg

And two of our favorites, Redneck and Big Momma (below):

58476_redneck.jpg

58476_bigmomma_molt.jpg

Big momma is molting (as are a bunch others right now!) as you can probably tell.

Last edited:
First, here is the main roo (Zararoostra): Not sure?

with one of our hens Monet (who maybe is a Dominique?): barred rock

Big momma is molting (as are a bunch others right now!) as you can probably tell. Welsummer- a sweet breed.

And here is Chagall (another Dominique?) - barred rock - has a single comb, Dominiques have a rose comb.

with Small Fry (??), up front: new hampshire red

p.s. they are beautiful.....don't know about the others but the red neck is a turken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ascorbic. I'll be uploading better pictures sometime soon of the rest of the flock (and some new additions!).

I had suspicions about the new hampshire red and the turken, but I hadn't looked at the Wellsumer before. Interesting! I think she may be a bit older than the others, so I should try to hatch some more of her eggs!

They've been really broody lately so finding another hen to sit on the eggs shouldn't be too difficult.

Once again thanks for the reply and if anyone else has some input it'd be appreciated!

Does the Welsummer lay dark brown eggs? I updated my reply like 3 times b/c I wanted to say that the black roo was a jersey giant, but then he has yellow eyes and I think they have darker eyes. And the one with the chicks, I don't know but she is a real beauty! Cleopatra has really long earlobes -lloks like she's wearing earrings lol - I don't know what she is -a mix of some sort, but interesting looking... Those cute little chicks are probably BR or BR mixes (the black ones). Sometimes the mixes are the most fun, because you never know what they will end up looking like. I'm glad that you've fallen in love with them.!

Quote:
She lays large brown eggs with a bunch of little darker brown spots on them.

Quote:
Thanks cthrash1. I have been leaning that way too... that the roo is an Australorp. But my roo has yellow legs, not black. Not to mention his eyes aren't black, but closer to yellow-orange.

Maybe he is an Australorp mix? Can't think of anything else. Many of our chicks look like Australorp chicks (black legs, black eyes), but can't be sure. I'm taking pictures of lots of the little ones today along with some more of our mature birds.

I'd say the rooster is a mix of some sort, his legs are smutty. Maybe a hatchery Australorp. But whatever he is, he's pretty. Monet and Chagall: Barred Rocks; Small Fry: New Hampshire Red; Cleopatra: Red Sex Link; Redneck: Turken or Naked Neck (same thing, different names); Big Mama: Welsummer.

Back
Top Bottom