A few pics of some of my flock...and a guinea

Quail_Antwerp

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Ohio
Someone posted that ya'll like pics, so I thought I would share a few...I took these just today so please don't mind the messy coops, I took the pics as we were going out to clean, so ya'll might see feathers and dirt floors, but please don't mind them!
Mostly today I got pics of the roos. I will try to get some nice ones of my hens tomorrow.

This first pic is my hubby holding our male guinea, who I call Annoying...LOL
guineamale.jpg

Next is Black Beard, my Americana...he is about 6 months and just started crowing today...I think he was a late bloomer...lol
Blackbeard.jpg

Next is Big Jon, he is my biggest Speckled Susses Roo, about six months old. He is my husbands favorite. We haven't heard him crow yet.
BigJon.jpg

Next is Strut. He's my other Speckled Sussex Roo...he was my favorite, same age as Jon. He doesn't crow either.
Strut.jpg

Next is my Blue Silkie, PJ, short for Poultry Joy...We thought he was a hen, but he commenced crowing this morning.
PJ.jpg

This is another silkie, not as yet named. Not sure on gender yet either.
Silkie.jpg

My Buff Orphington Rooster, he's about a year old and crows constantly! His name is Pocket.
Pocket.jpg

This is one of my Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. Three months old, I think it is a cockerel, but not sure. He is my baby and loves to have me pet his back!
PetBLRWCockerel.jpg

My Phoenix Cockerel, 3 months old, Fynn.
Fynn.jpg

Gold Sebright hen, named Whistler. She actually belongs to my brother, as we gave her to him for his birthday, but she is staying with us for now.
Whistler.jpg

This is Road Runner...He is a cross from an Old English Game hen and a Silver Spangled Hamburg. Fastest chicken I own, and mean! We just caught him today and since he isn't too tame, we have him in a rabbit hutch until he gets used to us. Oh and he bit me on my lip!
Roadrunner.jpg

Now these last few pics are of my pride and joys! My absolute favorite breeds are Mille Fleur d'Uccles and the Quail Antwerps.

First is Cricket, my Mille Fleur. He got his name because when he first started crowing he sounded like a cricket chirping.
Cricket.jpg

Next two pics are of Robert. He is my Quail Antwerp cockerel. He was named for my grandpa, who passed away in April.
Checking out the silkies
Checkingthingsout.jpg

Nibbling on Grass LOL
Robert.jpg

And this is Roberts mate, Fran, who I named after my grandmother.
Fran.jpg

Near record high prices for corn mean that farmers are feeding their pigs "people food" according to an article in The Wall Street Journal.

With demand for ethanol booming, American farmers are facing a dilemma when it comes to feeding their livestock. The Wall Street Journal, reports that some farmers are increasingly relying on food waste to feed their animals.

"Besides trail mix, pigs and cattle are downing cookies, licorice, cheese curls, candy bars, french fries, frosted wheat cereal and peanut-butter cups. Some farmers mix chocolate powder with cereal and feed it to baby pigs," writes Lauren Etter. "California farmers are feeding farm animals grape-skins from vineyards and lemon-pulp from citrus groves. Cattle ranchers in spud-rich Idaho are buying truckloads of uncooked french fries, Tater Tots and hash browns."

"In Pennsylvania, farmers are turning to candy bars and snack foods because of the many food manufacturers nearby. Hershey Co. sells farmers waste cocoa and the trimmings from wafers that go into its Kit Kat bars. At Nissin Foods, maker of Top Ramen and Cup Noodles, farmers drive to a Lancaster, Pa., factory and load up on scraps of the squiggly dried noodles, which pile up in bins beneath the assembly line," she continues.

Lauren Etter (2007). "With Corn Prices Rising, Pigs Switch To Fatty Snacks" The Wall Street Journal. May 21, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments?

Comments (0)

News options
Select a News Topic MAIN INDEX ALL TOPICS Africa Amazon Animal Behavior Animals Antarctica Asia Australia Biodiversity Biofuels Borneo Brazil Carbon Finance China Climate Change Congo Conservation Coral Reefs Deforestation Energy Environment Environmental Politics Ethanol Extinction Featured Forests Green Business Green Design Greenland-Arctic Happy-Upbeat Indigenous People Indonesia Interviews Logging Madagascar New Guinea Oceans Palm Oil Pollution Positive News Poverty Alleviation Primates Rainforests REDD Species Discovery Strange Technology Wildlife
News index | RSS | Add to MyYahoo!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisements:

Organic Apparel from Patagonia | Insect-repelling clothing

Back
Top Bottom