a few questions about 5 week old chicks.

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
Hello, my chickies are roughly 5 weeks old. They're getting to be pretty good sized, there's 13 of them in a 4x3 foot brooder.

1) I have been giving them this chick starter.. Start N Grow I think it's called, medicated. Should I stop giving them this type of food, and if yes what type of feed should I move on to.

2) I think they have most of their feathers but this is my first time around so I'm not exactly sure what a fully feathered bird looks like, but they are lookin pretty good. I live in the Pacific Northwest, outside Portland, Oregon specifically. It gets cold and rainy here a lot, is it too soon to move the girls out into the coop? They've spent most of their lives under a heat lamp.

3) I know one of my chickens is a rooster, I'm thinking I might get a second rooster. Only one rooster per flock? I have 13 birds.

Thank you.

At six weeks, most of us take our chicks out to the coop or barn. With nights, at temps 50 or higher, they are all done needing heat of any kind. It's time to wean them off the heat. Within three or four days, they adjust completely.
13 fast growing birds certainly need a large grow out pen to exercise and move about. So, it's time to move on, indeed.
You can indeed continue to feed them start 'n grow, or grower. Either are fine. No layer until 18 weeks or laying begins.

Enjoy the next step and your birds.

Back
Top Bottom