A few questions about adding chicks of different breeds/ages & sexing

chicklet1

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 24, 2010
I hope I put this in the right place. Sorry if I didn't!
hide.gif

I would love to have a few Silkies as part of my flock. I plan on having only females. The local feed stores here sell a few varieties of chicks that are already sexed. I have heard that w/Silkies it is nearly impossible to tell until they are older. I don't really want to chance getting a roo, so can I successfully add an older, already sexed Silkie to an existing flock? Do different breeds generally get along ok?

I ahve added outside birds to my flock.. First you will want to make sure they are roughly the same size and/or age.. Then quaratine the new bird away from you flock for atleast two weeks.. Then I usually will either put the new bird in my grow out pen or inside a wire dog cage so that the others can see, smell and talk to her for another two weeks.. Then integrate either while the flock is freeranging or allow the older flock into her enclosure .... All of mine after introductions typically will just pop right into the flock and be good.. Now they may fight her to reestablish the pecking order but this is normal.... Good luck

Back
Top Bottom