a few questions about coturnix Quails (pics added, lots of em)

KattyKillFish

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 8, 2009
Dillingham, Alaska
i've got some A&M and a regular wild type. they are a little over a month old now an filly feathered, but these are my first quails ever and i want to know alittle more about them.

is it okay to keep them outside over night at this point? it gets pretty cold at night, 30-40 degrees because it's still spring. nearly all of our snow is gone and they have a cute little pen outside with netting over the top and a quail house that has room for more. would it be okay or would they freeze?

can they be kept with valley quail? or will there be alot of agression. i have them with 23 day old chickens and they all get along pretty well, but i take the chickens back inside at this point. still too young.

how much longer until they start laying eggs? what will A&M/wild type look like?

are they very good at flying? they flap around alot and can get where they want to go, but they are SO HEAVY for their little wings. should i expect to see good flyers when they grow up?

how big do they get? like dove/pidgeon size? when do they finish growing?

*edited for spelling

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure they are really goof flyers.
Not sure on the valley quail thing.
6-8 weeks you should expect an egg.
A&M are white and wild type are brownish lol.
I think you are safe if the feathers aren't blood feathers. They huddle together and as long as the house is inclosed with no drafts they should be fine granted they are fully feathered.

thanks
big_smile.png

i actually kinda wanted to know what you would get if you cross a whild type with a A&M.. i have bothand know what they look like/are... thanks thouth
big_smile.png

That would be a question for niki (Monarc23) lol but you can always try and see! Since they are the same species of quail it would be fine just some cool coloring?

here is their living place (during the day. they come inside at night)
P5010012.jpg

and here's BATMAN

P5020002.jpg

P5020001.jpg

can you tell me if batman is a she or a he? Iether way, he/she is bent on saving gotham city from....
THE JOKER!! OH NOES!!! (very young silver phoenix roo)
P5010017.jpg

ETA: BATMAN! Alias: DARTH VADER! formerly known as hitler. he was the first born out of the whole batch and decided to beat the crap out of the others as they hatched. when Stallin was born, stallin broke him of the habit. they all get along despite their first 2 hours of life
lol.png

Last edited:
Batman is a roo
smile.png
Great name choice LOL!

Also, ofcourse A & M can cross with normal coturnix. All coturnix colors ARE THE SAME SPECIES
smile.png
Just different color and bred differently.

Like I always try explaining it, Think of a purebred dog like a labrador. Labs come in Black, Chocolate and yellow. Just as coturnix come in Brown, White, Golden, Tuxedo, Tibetan (in many different shades etc).

So yes....they can and will breed, this is not a hybrid... just like breeding a yellow lab to a chocolate lab is not a hybrid it's a purebred except coturnix arent breeds they are species.

Now, breeding a brown roo to white hens will only give you brown birds. So if you get any pure whites it's suffice ot say one of your whites is also a roo.

I would NOT mix coturnix with valley quail.

You can find just about everything you need ot know about coturnix here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=102281 (many pictures so give it a few secs to load).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom