1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A few questions about raising pigs???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Willow's Meadow, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    I want to maybe get a pig this summer but I don't know very much about raising them. How much space do they need in their pen/stall??? How much space do they need outside in their pasture??? How much water do they drink a day??? What do you feed your pig??? I might be getting goats.....so would the goats be okay with the pigs/and as their friends??? If I had goats would I need to get 2-3 pigs or could I just get one???

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    What reason are you getting a pig? For a pet or for food? Pigs are omnivores which means they will eat anything, meat or vegetables. Pigs also don't sweat, so they need mud to keep them cool.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Just a little info, pigs are very smart. If you provide them with plenty of space you will notice that pigs will not go potty in their sleepy area. My 4-H kids feed their pigs starter and grower and a little corn, not a lot, you don't want them to have to much fat on them. They must have plenty of water. I think the best way is to use the nipple waterers. I would not put any goats in with pigs. Pigs do like mud whereas goats need it to be dry on their hooves so they don't get foot rot and I would never raise just one animal by itself. They are companion animals. They also don't gain weight as well because they is no competition for food. [​IMG]

4. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I do not recommend giving pigs meat even though they will eat it they don't need it to live or raise for meat.

5. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    I agree, even though they will eat it - I wouldn't give your pigs meat. Grubs and such are a tasty treat though, but not real meat.
    They are also very prone to salt poisoning, and tend to need more water in the cooler months. Kiddie pools are great for the summer months! I make mine into a 'mud pool' [​IMG]

6. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    Did someone say pigs?

7. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Stevo, that is ADORABLE! [​IMG]
    I have the biggest weak spot for those cute babies!
    Definitely made my day! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by