A few questions about when they get bigger...

GottaLuvChicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 17, 2010
Dillsburg, PA
Hi all! New to the whole chicken thing, and we just got 27 chicks FREE (I THINK CR crosses from their size) from a local festival here in town. They are about 2 weeks old and already getting wing feathers! We plan to put them outside in a week or 2 (depending on how big they get how quickly), but I was wondering a few things.

1. How big should their run/pen be? I was thinking of putting them into the garden area since it is already penned in and quite large, but I just am not sure. The fence around the garden is about 4 feet high, and I have no issue closing it in at the topif necessary since the garden is about done with veggies this year.
2. How big of a coop should we have for that many birds? Anyone have any good links for coops/houses for meat birds??
3. How well do these guys fly? I know they get HUGE fairly quickly, but I am not sure of their flight ability. I can see the chicks are already trying out their wings, but getting nowhere of course.
4. We have 5 Polish Laced chickens (about 6 months old)...can they be put in the same space (pen or house), or should they stay separate? I know PL are very easily picked on, so how aggressive can these big meat birds get? The PL are purely for show/pets, so I don't want anything happening to them.

Thanks up front for your advice!

Kelly

most chicks get wing feathers around 2 weeks
10X 10 is good for CX IF you move it everyday, they don't walk around to much but they DO poop a lot! - good for the garden
they really don't fly or even roost
if you have enough feeders and spread them out your adult polish should be fine, seperating is better but not a neccesity. CX are not agressive, very sweet actually but they do hog the feed. and never let them run out of water they drink a lot!
Do your reading on this thread

this pen is for 25 day and night from start to finish, they empty that 5 gallon waterer every day

19992_meaties_at_sunset_014.jpg

the white stuff is from the cotton wood trees not the birds

Quote:
Hmmm how well do they hold up in colder night time temps? Your pic gives me an idea to just tarp over a section of the garden for a shelter, but it gets COLD here in PA right now (temps running in the high 30s to low 50s right now at night)...would an ample supply of straw for bedding help, or should I maybe make a tarp "door" to drap down at night?

Beautiful birds by the way!!

Those were raised in spring so ventilation was the biggest issue. I have found them to be a VERY hot bird. Others pamper theirs more I have found success just leaving them out, mine were quite naked when it was still around 50 at night, I gave them no light, and they did just fine. I would suggest just going with your intuition, and remember you only keep them 8 weeks.
I wouldn't suggest using straw with them though, the amount of poop is incredible and chicken poop and straw makes poop soup. a big pile of shavings would be better.

Awesome thanks so much for the info!! They are already about 2 weeks old (going to call the hatchery tomorrow to try to get more info on them), so maybe not even 8 weeks! We are excited, and I am doing a LOT of research on processing at home. Lucky for me I have a lady that lives on a farm a few houses down that does her own chickens, and she is going to help me with our first time!

Back
Top Bottom