a few questions for experienced duck owners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shannondee12, Feb 22, 2014.

1. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I have a couple different questions about ducks. This is my first year with them and I have 2 Khaki Campbell drakes and 1 crested blue swedish duck and 1 blue swedish/khaki campbell duck. They are both laying everyday and I am getting one white/cream egg and one green/blue egg. I thought that I had read somewhere that the blue swedish would lay the green/blue egg and the Khaki cross would lay the cream colored egg. Hubby got me a dozen fertile blue swedish eggs and a new incubator for Valentine's day. When I got the fertile eggs, they are all cream colored. Have I been wrong for the last month on who is laying what egg?

Also, we are loving the eggs. Except, the shells are so hard to crack. I end up with shell in it everytime. They free range all day and have layer pellets free choice. I don't give extra calcium so is there something that I should be doing to make it easier to crack the shells open?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Actually, no, they are supposed to be that hard to crack open. I crack mine into a small clear pyrex ramekin and then if I get shell in there, I can see it and remove it easily.

I think it was HollyDuckFarmer who put a dab of food coloring on her duck's cloaca to see who was laying which egg.

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Hi! Strong eggshells are a good sign and you certainly don't want them weak. My KCs lay cream-ish to white shelled eggs. I don't know about Sweedish, sorry. I believe that I read that the color of eggshells is genetic and passed down from the duck 's father. So I guess you might need to wait a generation to test out that theory. I do have here an Indian Runner that will sometimes lay blue eggs. So a KC carrying that gene could lay a blue egg. HTH.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by