a few questions from a first time hatcher...

kaciebig

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2016
is it true that candling can hurt the embryo? any experiences with that?

is day 18 when i do not open the incubator until they hatch?

how long do i leave my ducks in the incubator? I've seen so many different answers to this.

thank you!
wee.gif

how long do i leave my ducks in the incubator? I've seen so many different answers to this.

thank you!
wee.gif
@RavynFallen

Or
can help answer your question but as far as candling I am a candle addict and have never had any problems.
@WVduckchick

thank you!
wee.gif

Hi! And Welcome!

First, I candle a lot! I have seen no ill effects from candling. But... I also handle them very carefully. I incubate with the eggs upright, so when I pull one to candle, I leave it in the exact same upright position and shine my light from the top down. I don't turn them over and over, or roll them around. I move the light around, and only turn the egg, but I keep it upright.

Having said that, a broody is not so gentle with eggs, and I also candle ones under a broody.

NOW - the bigger thing... What kind of ducks? Ducklings take longer to incubate than chicks, so by day 18, they are not ready for the humidity to be raised, and they will not hatch on day 21. That's for chickens.
big_smile.png
Mallard-type ducks take 28 days, so day 25 is when you "lockdown" and raise humidity. Personally, I open my incubator whenever I "need" to, no matter what day it is. I remove chicks and ducklings from the incubator whenever there is a break in the action. That can be anywhere from an hour after hatching up to 36 hours!

Good luck!

I agree, never had candling cause any issues whatsoever...

And WV is correct, gotta know which kind of ducks to know when to up humidity...

Muscovy take 35 days and Call ducks are ony 26 days... :)

Back
Top Bottom