A few questions regarding our surprise hatchlings! *Pics added*

Thanks for the replies! Glad I'm not the only one that would be an anxious mess!

We had another chick hatch last night!
jumpy.gif
wee.gif

She seems to be doing ok. Quite wobbly on her feet still and she's spending most of her time this morning under Momma staying warm. Haven't seen her eat or drink yet but I'm sure that will come soon.

We went and got some chick crumbles yesterday so Momma and chickies are on that.

I *think* I'll be able to snap some pictures tonight, just need to find someones camera to borrow
tongue.png

So chick #2 got stepped on by mom today
sad.png
I was really worried about her for a while but she seems ok now. Right after it happened though she wasn't moving around too much. She's since moved enough so that I can tell there isn't at least any apparent damage. She's walking around fine too. Ive also seen her eat, so only time will tell. I hope she's alright.

On a lighter note, Ive got pictures!!
cool.png

First, some of the chickies and momma:

This is chick #1. Hatched Thursday
2hdw8s1.jpg

Chick #1 and mom
f3ti7d.jpg

fbx3x4.jpg

Heres mom, all worried Im going to snatch up her babies!
5uh1th.jpg

Chick #2 makes an appearance
2luxpiv.jpg

Does she look ok? This was taken after she got stepped on
of0x00.jpg

Heres a few of dad
1nxvf4.jpg

e8moev.jpg

29gmrg4.jpg

10h7tef.jpg

And some of the other hens, just for fun
21kwakz.jpg

2pzwdnl.jpg

Last edited:
Just a quick update for anyone still interested.

Chick #2 is doing much better and I am no longer concerned about her getting stepped on. She's acting normal for a chick and I've seen her eat and drink so I think she's fine.

We also had another egg hatch last night!
big_smile.png
Both of the older ones are almost identical but this one came out blonde
big_smile.png
Hopefully I can get some pics for y'all later tonight.

I also think momma is done laying on the remaining 3 eggs. I haven't seen her on them all morning. I don't think there are any more fertile eggs anyways, so not a big deal.

Chick #1 is too funny! Every chance she gets she hops up onto her moms back
lol.png
Poor poor Momma and her bratty babies!

Hopefully I'll come back later armed with more pictures! Thanks for reading
smile.png

Sounds like they are doing great! For reference you can give newly hatched chicks mashed hard boiled eggs (mommy too) It seems to give them a good start.

I'm not an expert on that mix but if I remember right you have sex link chicks and the ones that are black w/ white on their heads are roos. Can anyone confirm?

So cute! I bought a BR from the feed store last weekend and she's already got her markings coming in. We hatched one egg via momma hen... Didn't think the gal I got the fertilized egg said anything about BR but it looks the exact same as the BR I bought. Do several breeds start out black with the light spot on their heads? I'm new to the chicks!

Congrats on the babies!
Best of Luck with them! Your handsome rooster and Momma have done a good job
smile.png

When you can, post more pictures of the new chicks!

Love the expression of the hen in the last picture--priceless!
gig.gif

Ive come with updates a pictures!
big_smile.png

So Momma and chickies are doing great! All eating and drinking and walking about. Mom's still laying on her remaining eggs, I thought she might have abandoned them but she keeps going back so we'll see how it goes. Maybe we'll have another chick sometime soon
cool.png

Anywho, enough with my babling and on to what really matters, pictures
big_smile.png

Introducing chick #3
4kcz00.jpg

25g40tc.jpg

She's got a couple little spots of black on her back
rax08w.jpg

Here they are all together
2nk8cuu.jpg

15ehkx0.jpg

4lr7rd.jpg