A Few Questions....:-)

Crazy for Chickens!

Free Ranging
Jun 9, 2017
NW Missouri
Hey guys,
I'm planning to build a chicken coop sometime in the near future. I just have a few questions about winterizing:
1. Does anyone put insulation in their walls? Does it work?
2. How about a thick plastic roof? (corrugated plastic sheets) I'm thinking of a greenhouse affect. Like the sun shines in, and keeps the inside a bit warmer than normal.

Thanks!

Im from Mo and we just have an old barn and we cut a chicken door hole in one wall and made it to a chicken run yard. But they are let out to free range everday. I dont think you need isolation but depends where you live. Also your green house roof thing sounds like a great Idea but the only thing that would worrie me is all that glass from above.

I am planning on doing ventilation. I'm going to put windows near the ceiling at the South and North ends. I've heard that when the air is circulating up there, the chickens dont get a breeze, but i can still imagine it getting pretty cold in there. That's why i was interested in the insulation or plastic roof. I'm also going to have a heat lamp in there for when it gets below 20.

Im from Mo and we just have an old barn and we cut a chicken door hole in one wall and made it to a chicken run yard. But they are let out to free range everday. I dont think you need isolation but depends where you live. Also your green house roof thing sounds like a great Idea but the only thing that would worrie me is all that glass from above.
I think i would probably use plastic. They make heavy plastic you can put on like greenhouses. I don't know what its called at the moment. I'm having a hard time explaining it! But anyway, it isn't glass.

I live in Florida so my problem is more with the heat in the summer months. My brother lives in Michigan. I don't think his coop is insulated but when they get extremely cold weather he has a heat lamp in his coop and a heated waterer.
The first picture was taken years ago. The next picture is more recent.
NeilKathyChickens.jpeg

IMG_2474.jpg

I live in Florida so my problem is more with the heat in the summer months. My brother lives in Michigan. I don't think his coop is insulated but when they get extremely cold weather he has a heat lamp in his coop and a heated waterer.
The first picture was taken years ago. The next picture is more recent.
View attachment 1564060

View attachment 1564058
Yeah, I'm planning on doing that. Do you think they will be ok with the draft of the ventilation going through at the top?

Ventilation is very important. Your birds basically need a place for shelter and to get out of the wind.
We live in Michigan and in the winter we don't use supplemental heat. They have ventilation at the top of the coop. I like to provide straw in the winter for them to nestle into. Straw is a nice insulator as long as it stays dry.
If your birds are cold hardy breeds I wouldn't worry about insulation or a heat lamp.

Ventilation is very important. Your birds basically need a place for shelter and to get out of the wind.
We live in Michigan and in the winter we don't use supplemental heat. They have ventilation at the top of the coop. I like to provide straw in the winter for them to nestle into. Straw is a nice insulator as long as it stays dry.
If your birds are cold hardy breeds I wouldn't worry about insulation or a heat lamp.
I am planning on ventilation. That's why I'm worried about it being warm enough. Because even if the air is passing through over their heads, it's still cold air coming and going. I just wanted to make sure they didn't get cold! I will use hay on the ground.
I have needed to use a heat lamp before, because I have had frostbite previously. Our winter temps sometimes get to the negative teens.

Back
Top Bottom