1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A fix to stop dogs from eating chicken poo?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kanman, Sep 1, 2013.

1. kanman

kanman New Egg

Sep 1, 2013
    There are multiple products on the market that deter a dog from eating its own poop. I am wondering if these would be safe to give to our chickens. In hopes of stopping our dogs from chowing down.

Deter
    For-Bid
    Potty Mouth

Those are a few of the brand names on the market to help prevent, and most say they are made from a purified protein powder.

I'll give our vet a visit to ask soon, just wondering if anybody on here would know as we'll.

2. AletaG

AletaG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    Interesting. I know our old dog was stopped cold by feeding him Pineapple tablets. Don't know why that would be a problem for chickens... easy to try.

3. str8m8

str8m8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2013
    Moorina Australia
    i put some chickens in a 1 meter square chicken mesh pen .set some electric fence string 20 cm off it at 20cm spacing turned on the fence. the dog ran at the chooks got zapped associated that experience with the chickens and now gives them a wide berth.dogs hate nothing more.one shock 5 years ago fixed a chook a day killing dog .easy.

4. str8m8

str8m8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2013
    Moorina Australia
    It works on eating poo too sorry.anything chicken is avoided by the dog.

5. kanman

kanman New Egg

Sep 1, 2013
    Waiting for a phone back from our vets. I'll post findings when I hear from them.

Checking into the pineapple tablets thing too, would be awesome if its that simple.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  6. AletaG

AletaG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    [​IMG] Good luck. I just have to keep my dog away. Anything under 15lb is food. (cats, small dogs, chickens)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by