A foot problem and an egg problem

calmeter

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2017
Good morning,

This past week I noticed some broken eggs in the nesting boxes. I didn't think much about it, just threw out the first broken egg I found. The next day I found some yoke in the nest box so I got the hose and rinsed it out. I also noticed that one of my hens had a dirty rear end. On Friday I finally was able to catch her and rinsed her rear off with a hose. Nothing was really stuck and it rinsed very easily. The next day, Saturday, I noticed that she was limping. I wondered if I had some how hurt her by hosing her rear off? But then I thought that maybe she was egg bound, which I have never seen in a hen yet. So I brought her in the house and gave her an Epsom salt bath and put some Vaseline on her vent and kept her in a tote in the house. (This was on Saturday.) Later that day I saw that there was egg white on the towel in her tote and then I saw that the yoke and some broken shell were coming out. So I started to research about broken eggs inside of the hen. I gave her some water with electrolytes and some calcium. She is also eating layer crumbles. Yesterday, Sunday, she had another Epsom salt bath and I used a syringe to squirt some vinegar and water into her vent. I'm now letting her stay in the flower bed on my screened in porch. I didn't see her walk around much, she just stayed under the plants in the flower bed.

Today, she is having difficulty standing. She can't put any weight on her left foot. She sits down on her rear end with the left foot straight out in front of her. I gave her another bath this morning with Epsom salts and looked her foot over. I don't see any swelling or bumps, but I notice that her toes on her right foot are very strong and grip my finger, but the middle toe on the left foot is limp. Is this a case of a broken toe or something else? A calcium deficiency which is also contributing to her broken shelled eggs?

Back
Top Bottom