A ? for practicing Catholics (not a debate!)

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Just a simple question. Do the female parishioners at your church still wear head coverings at mass?
The reason I ask - We will soon be traveling to Florida to see my father (if we can ever get all the details in place
barnie.gif
). Since we will be there over a Sunday, I would like to attend mass with my dad. I would do this because I know it would make my dad happy
smile.png
The thing is, I am a very self-conscious person. Also, my childhood teachings are still very much ingrained in me. I can't imagine entering a catholic church without a head covering. I have a nice dress to take with me (nevermind that some ladies wear slacks nowadys, I wouldn't be caught dead in any church in pants). I want to know if I need to purchase a hankerchief to use as a head covering.

I know to keep my fingers out of the holy water and that I can't take communion.
wink.png

I'd like to see responses from practicing catholics, not google results.

TIA
smile.png

Head cocerings have not been required at Catholic Mass for years. You will be fine without, altho if you feel more comfortable with some sort of head covering, go ahead.

I can't imagine entering a catholic church without a head covering.

I was baptized Catholic and had catholic grandparents. As I child I went to church with them. As a teen I went to church with a catholic friend. We NEVER wore head coverings and I am 47 now.​

As others have said, no need to wear head covering if you so wish. You may use holy water if you've been baptized. You may receive communion if you go to confession.

My father is very devout and all of us kids were raised in the Catholic church. I can still remember all of us girls lining up in front of our mom for her to pin our headcoverings in place.

As for the pants. I wore pants to church once, a Wesleyan church. I was very uncomfortable in them. The instant I sat down in Sunday School and someone handed me a cup of coffee, I accidently spilled it all over me. I took that as a sign.
wink.png

I am a practicing Catholic, and we do not have to cover our heads. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a woman with her head covered in my church. Unfortunately many people don't even dress up anymore. Some people go very casual, wearing jeans and sneakers. I myself don't really care what people wear, at long as it is modest. The only thing that matters it that they go to church as far as I am concerned.

Dress and head covering. Otherwise you are going to question yourself the whole time.

I always liked a lace "mantilla" type head covering, without the comb of course. Something understated and modest.

Quote:
Yes, again not looking for debate, but...
I will never again wear slacks in a church, any church. I would just be too uncomfortable. As for the head covering, I would be uncomfortable without one of them too, but that I might be able to overcome.

Back
Top Bottom