1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A forum for everything I do

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sparkfly88, Oct 13, 2010.

1. sparkfly88

sparkfly88 New Egg

Oct 13, 2010
    Sarasota
    I've always wanted a bird since I was little, and this little thing was cruising around in my backyard...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got em cornered, didn't try to fly away or anything. Heck, it barely even moved when I scooped it up.

Eats darn near anything, bread, cornmeal, bugs, roaches, seeds, grass...lol

What is it?

I'm part of many forums, and now I found this one to add to my list [​IMG]

2. JimandCillasGirls

JimandCillasGirls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Central Alabama
    Don't know what type it is but it is a pretty little bird. Welcome to the forum![​IMG]

3. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    My first thought when looking at the bird is that it reminds me of my black rosecombs, but the comb is wrong. Same face and look though. Maybe a mix??

Cute friend though.

Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That pullet has a single comb. [​IMG]

Expect it to lay eggs for you in a couple weeks though. [​IMG]

First, [​IMG]

Second - It looks like a gamefowl of some sort. . . Sure is a pretty little girl though.

5. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Welcome! photos, please. Also, you should get the pullet a friend. Chickens are flock animals.

6. sparkfly88

sparkfly88 New Egg

Oct 13, 2010
    Sarasota
    There should be two photos on the original post.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]

What a beautiful little friend you have! She will get very lonely without another chicken friend. Can you find another chicken for her somewhere? Congratulations!!!

[​IMG]

8. sparkfly88

sparkfly88 New Egg

Oct 13, 2010
    Sarasota
    So I've been doing tons of reading, as I always do with any kind of hobby I get interested in...

This whole chicken thing looks mighty interesting.

Too bad Sarasota Fl doesnt approve of it....[​IMG]

If I get a couple more and call them pets, it shouldn't be a problem I'd think....

SO, question time:caf

Are there any small reliable incubators for say 1-5 eggs that roll automatically?
    I work a full time job, and I know the full size ones I've been reading about is a bit much for what I want/need.
    I have enough space in my room for one, I have a full size work bench I can share space for my other hobbies.

I have a place called Stockyard that deals with feed for all sorts of stuff, I'm sure I can get chicken feed of all ages for them there I'd think.

Do chickens naturally keep to their home area? Or do I need a roof of some sort on their wandering space...I guess it's called a "run"

How long are the average lifespans? How long do you think this bird of mine has left?

Thanks!

( i like this smily, i just wanna use it )
    [​IMG]

9. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by