A frame chicken tractor floor

turkeybirdpecky

Chirping
Feb 6, 2021
Hi! Is 1/4in coated hardware cloth too fine for a silkie chicken tractor floor?

We had many chicks slaughtered by a rat and we know there are weasels in the area. Really wanted to get as close to free ranging as possible though... for as cheap as possible (husband is a student)...and we already have that hardware cloth....

Ideally for a chicken tractor you wouldn’t have a floor. I made the mistake of having a chicken wire floor for ours initially. Was told it was not good for their feet. It also rusted out in a little over a year and I ended up cutting it out. A predator apron that drops down would be better. I understand your concerns with rats and weasels though. Do you have a secure place you plan to lock them up overnight?

No, hardware cloth will not allow grass through -- it will just flatten the grass down every time you move it.

One of the disadvantages of tractors is that they are very difficult to predator-proof. Here's one with a wire anti-dig skirt (and discussion about it's limitations): https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hoop-coop-chicken-tractor.72211/

You can find a lot of threads discussing anti-rat measures in the Predators and Pests section of the forums. :) https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/predators-and-pests.13/

Yes, it would stop a lot of bugs directly and the chickens couldn't scratch for grubs and such.

The alternative is to attach the hardware cloth to the bottom of the walls (literally the bottom or not), then bend it so it lays across the ground out from the tractor about two feet. Predators rarely dig in middle of an open space, they dig next to something solid like the wall.

And, 3killerBs gave a link so I will stop.

Hmm. Ok. That makes sense, I'm thinking all wrong about this tractor thing.

It can have a locking portion (the house portion is solid wood- just needs a door). I might just use it for rabbits and start over though....

Back
Top Bottom