A frame coop and run - cover the bottome of the run?

carriebare28

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2015
Our run is enclosed in a heavy gage wire (maybe 1x2?). We enclosed the bottom of the run, worried our dogs, or predators, would try to dig in to the run. Our yard is also uneven in spots, and this will help eliminate any openings around the frame of the run. Right now, the openings in the fencing seem so large. It is small enough where the chickens can not get through it though. The chicks enjoy going outside, but it looks like it hurts their feet. I like with it being so wide, the grass goes right through the fencing. Would hardware cloth be easier on the chicks feet? I was worried it would be harder for them to get grass and goodies from the ground.

Is the bottom of your run covered? Why or why not?

If it is covered, what type of fencing do you use? Do you like it?

We live in town, the only predators that I know of in our area would be our dogs, raccoons, and skunks.

Our run is enclosed in a heavy gage wire (maybe 1x2?). We enclosed the bottom of the run, worried our dogs, or predators, would try to dig in to the run. Our yard is also uneven in spots, and this will help eliminate any openings around the frame of the run. Right now, the openings in the fencing seem so large. It is small enough where the chickens can not get through it though. The chicks enjoy going outside, but it looks like it hurts their feet. I like with it being so wide, the grass goes right through the fencing. Would hardware cloth be easier on the chicks feet? I was worried it would be harder for them to get grass and goodies from the ground.

Is the bottom of your run covered? Why or why not?

If it is covered, what type of fencing do you use? Do you like it?

We live in town, the only predators that I know of in our area would be our dogs, raccoons, and skunks.

Most people do not cover the bottom of their run. It is definitely not recommended. It's not great for the chickens who like to scratch and dig and it probably does hurt their feet. There's lots of discussion on this board about good run design and lots of examples - you should check it out. You can bury wire mesh on the outside of the run. I laid 2 feet of wire cloth around the perimeter of my run and secured it to the sides of the run along the bottom with lots of zip ties (but zip ties are really no good as predators can chew through them, those metal clips are what I should have used). Then I covered the wire with dirt and some rocks and planed some things. This way when a predator digs, they hit the wire mesh. This is one way to do it. I would get rid of the mesh on the floor of your run. Your chickens will seriously appreciate it. Also, a 2" mesh may be too big. I guess some predators can get through that. Many people use hard cloth, hardware cloth, whatever you call it. This is generally considered the best material for a run.

I found that a perimeter of big rocks, bricks, concrete and concrete brocks will keep out the ground predators. I built a wood frame for the run area off of a shed that I store their food and hay, and covered it with the cheep chicken wire. So far it has been holding up and has kept the problem animals out.

This is what our coop looks like, it's a tractor so we move it around the yard . If we are moving it, how do we secure the bottom of the run?

You have a good point and in my situation I needed to have a fixed place structure. Maybe you could build a hinged frame of light chicken wire that would fold up when you move your tractor or you could build a fixed coop and run as a back place. Sorry I couldn't help you, I thought you had a fixed coop. My bad
hmm.png

This is what our coop looks like, it's a tractor so we move it around the yard . If we are moving it, how do we secure the bottom of the run?

It looks good. If you want to ground proof it then put the wire on the outside. Like this except frame the wire around the outside with wood so it's easier to push.

(I can't find the pic I've seen before with it done right.)

Back
Top Bottom