A frame vs hoop for breeding pens

Yeah, I been digging around for what alot of the larger operations are using. I don't want wire bottom but I realized them on grass may not function long term. So figuring sand, straw and doing a fodder system so they'll have greens. I am very blessed with a boyfriend who father works in construction and has lots of left over supplies so I been expanding on potential pen designs that could be multi purpose like this:View attachment 3393878

With the ability to put in dividers for breeders, or remove for grow out etc. I got till fall to get everything situated but I prefer to over research. :oops:
I used to have a setup kinda like that. It was 24' wide and 10' deep and 10'6" high divided into 6' wide stalls I used them as what we call in the gamefowl world flypens. It would be too expensive to build enough stalls to compete with the amount of domes I have.

I used to have a setup kinda like that. It was 24' wide and 10' deep and 10'6" high divided into 6' wide stalls I used them as what we call in the gamefowl world flypens. It would be too expensive to build enough stalls to compete with the amount of domes I have.
Yeah, I don't know if I'll ever be that high in numbers, or if so it'll be years down the road and would be re evaluating 😅

One of the bantam books talks about having a large walk-in enclosure with small pens/caged side-by-side inside with a center isle for access. It has more options for keeping small groups separated, provides better security, prevents escapes and is, supposedly, less freightening for the birds
Kind of like a horse barn with attached runs? 😜

re grass: unless you move the pen often the grass won't last for long.

One of the bantam books talks about having a large walk-in enclosure with small pens/caged side-by-side inside with a center isle for access. It has more options for keeping small groups separated, provides better security, prevents escapes and is, supposedly, less freightening for the birds
Got any photos perchance?

not a great pic but i use this for broody hens and just hatched chicks. I think it would work good for show bantams to keep thier feathering nice. Each stall is 2x2

20230203_131021.jpg

It got hit by a big tree branch during a hurricane so its kinda crooked

Yes, like a horse barn. There is a crude drawing in the book but it's not very helpful.

The American Bantam Association has three small books about bantams. They reproduce the old 1940 Baldwin book and have two others they publish themselves. They are sold through ebay. You should get all three.
They and the oegb book is on my list. I got the 2011 standards for APA and ABA, don't think they changed anything I should worry about.

Now, a caveat here: TSC does not deliver the fence panels everybody raves about to make DIY structures! They are 16' long I believe. That makes for some tricky transit!ha I

Having worked at a store that sells them and transported many and built several hoop coops, it isn't tricky if you have a pick up or at least a 5 ft trailer. They are very flexible and can be bent to fit without causing a permanent warp in the metal. I haul mine on a 5x10 trailer behind a jeep, you just have to get someone to help you pull the ends together and you can slid them right in. In a pickup you tuck one end into the bed and bend it over to tuvk the other end in so it looks just like a hoop coop driving down the road. Just make sure to ratchet strap tight and BE CAREFUL UNLOADING if you are by yourself. The panels will want to spring out fast when you release them and can send you to the hospital quick!

Having worked at a store that sells them and transported many and built several hoop coops, it isn't tricky if you have a pick up or at least a 5 ft trailer. They are very flexible and can be bent to fit without causing a permanent warp in the metal. I haul mine on a 5x10 trailer behind a jeep, you just have to get someone to help you pull the ends together and you can slid them right in. In a pickup you tuck one end into the bed and bend it over to tuvk the other end in so it looks just like a hoop coop driving down the road. Just make sure to ratchet strap tight and BE CAREFUL UNLOADING if you are by yourself. The panels will want to spring out fast when you release them and can send you to the hospital quick!
Transported many times like that. The TSC guys used to just gawk at me when I'd skoff at them, grab 1 end (after putting my gloves on, which they never seemed to have), raise it over one side of truck, walk the other end in & raise it over the bed, then down into the bed. Also ratchet down. Then t-posts or 2x4s put down in bed against trkboc on drivers side & angled up through a square in the "hoop" on passenger side. They don't move.

TSC & various Ubers & Rydes(?) will now deliver, too.

I have a-frame tractors made from cattle panel, LOL. & I use CP in all kinds of configurations...

Cattle panels, coops & Sheds

Chicken tractors

Plus attaching a couple current photos...

Attachments

• 20220204_160119.jpg
    20220204_160119.jpg
    921.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220204_160110.jpg
    20220204_160110.jpg
    907.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220204_160058.jpg
    20220204_160058.jpg
    901 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211126_085555.jpg
    20211126_085555.jpg