A Freaking Hawk Got One Of My Copper Maran Chicks!!!!!

FarmerGrant011

Songster
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
I leave my 1 1/2 month old copper maran chicks (group of three) out everyday in my backyard. I was walking home from school and realized I had locked myself out of the house. So I go around back and THOUGHT I saw one of the big chickens out of the run. I drop my backpack and go over to see what it was... and there was a hawk (and I say hawk VERY loosely) with my little nugget!!!!!!!!!!!! The hawk tried carrying him away, but the hawk was too small to even try to. So I got Nugget and through him away... He was my favorite of the three. He was always the one to follow me around in the backyard.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
I took the other chicks and put them up in their coop. I have learned that even though I feel that my chicks would be safe in the city, that there are predators everywhere. I am going to build a chicken tractor for them so that they can still be out while I am not at home.

Loved him since the moment he was born.

93421_nugget.jpg

I am sorry for your loss. I know this doesn't help, but when something like that happens, it's a learning experience. It won't help your pain, but I do share your sorrow.

I have no idea what it is but it's always your favorite chickens to go. It's cruel games from nature. I got my first batch of chickens in April of this year, I adored this cross-beaked easter egger named Randi and my dad loved our GLW polish cockerel. One day Randi became lethargic and the next day she was dead... as for the polish, he is to date(knock on wood), our only bird lost to predators. Very unlucky. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
So sorry for what happened to poor Nugget. A large hawk killed my young adult White Rock roo a couple days ago. I know how you feel.
hugs.gif

Seems like there is always something wanting a chicken dinner...

So sorry for your loss. Hawks have been bad lately I think its the migration and changing weather... Mine are in a chicken tractor with a PVC pipe run that is covered with chicken wire all around.

Back
Top Bottom