A fresh layer BO pullet - Can she go broody?

MIKE555444

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Pliny, West Virgina
Is it possible for a new pullet just 23 weeks old go broody this time of year? These pullets have not been laying that long surely she would not go broody …. right? She has been clucking and using the "calling" cluck around the treats and food. She also fluffs up a bit around some of the other chickens at times. She has not took to a nest yet so maybe this will pass since its starting to get cold outside here lol

*sigh*

Yes, it is definitely possible and she sounds like a typical "walking broody". She has the 'feeling', but hasn't figured it out yet.

I don't have BO but I do have a Leghorn that has successfully raised a nice bunch of kids-all stolen but has never laid one darn egg
lau.gif
sound just backwards I know but now her kids have flown the coop so to speak she's already looking again stalking out the nest boxes and trying to keep the other hens out of them once an egg has been laid

Oh ya they can go broody! The 1st of my 7 girls to lay was Hilde the BO. Perfect eggs every day, then she turned into a teradactal(sp) from a bad Japanese Sci Fi movie...all puffed up and screechy.
lol.png
She took 3 wks off for all that business and is now back to work!

Last edited:
I have a light brahma that is my sweetest thing around. However, she's chickenzilla when on the nest. She will puff up and scream at me or other chickens that dare come in while she's nesting. She'll sit in there for a couple hours. (she lays back down once she lays her egg) Then she pops off the nest like nothing ever happened. She's been doing this over a month now, and she's still not fully broody.

So I bought a bator. One way or another, I'll get my broody.

I have a buff who is acting like this, about 25 weeks, hasn't been laying for long. She sat on the nest for hours, even overnight while the others roosted! I wondered if it was broodiness. We don't have a rooster, though...doesn't matter, I'm assuming?

You are correct..it doesn't matter if you have a roo or not for the hen to have a natural broody feeling.

Mine did
big_smile.png
and I got 7 new babies to prove it,
lau.gif
started hatching yesterday, 4 more eggs to go. My BO was almost 24 weeks when she went broody and this is my 1st flock....... so much fun! Chickens, eggs, chickies... Oh MY
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom