A funny story I can only share here . . .

frankenchick

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Benton Twp., Michigan
In January, my in-laws moved to BC. Dad has Alzheimers and was getting to be too much for Mom to cope with by herself (they are 87). Before we packed them up for the move from ON (their home for 40 years) to BC to be near my husband's older brother, Mom wanted to visit our son in prison in Ionia, MI. My husband couldn't come because he was out of town, so I volunteered to drive them and help them through the visit.

When we got to the prison, it was super busy with visitors. After about 90 mins., a female guard came and called Mom and I to go in. I decided to let Mom go so she could get as much time with her grandson as possible while I kept an eye on Dad. We ended up waiting another 90 mins.; Dad couldn't understand why we had to wait so long and started to get restless. . .

Dad: "Why are we waiting so long?!"
Me: "Well, Dad, sometimes we just have to wait. Sometimes they're really busy and can't get us right away."
Dad: "Do you think it would help if I sang the 'Star-Spangled Banner'?"
Me: "No, Dad, I really don't."
Dad: (loudly) "O-oh say, can you see . . .?"
Me: "Dad!"

I can only share this here, because anywhere else, people would know who I'm talking about, and I don't want to suggest disrespect. It just struck me as hilarious at an especially over-wrought time, and it still makes me chuckle to think about it.:lau

NFC: Just noticed your question . . . It didn't get us in any faster, but when I told another guard the story a couple weeks ago, he was apologetic. "If we'd known he was having a hard time, we'd have worked out something! I feel bad about that." I assured him that the wait was, in fact, shortened for us (!) and that I only told the story because it tickles me so much. :)

Back
Top Bottom