A girl for Max

ButtonNomies

Songster
Jul 17, 2022
Ok so it's soon going to be the day when I pick a girl for max. I currently have my eye on 2 girls for him, they'll be reaching maturity soon, between 1 and 2 weeks.

One girl I'm pretty confused with her colouring! I know she's a pied and not a tux coz she has the colour separation between her head and body, the rest of her has coloured like Robin, tho she has silver flanks.

As a chick she was bright yellow with 2 very faint silver marks on her flanks. She's a very pretty girl and I'm swaying towards her for Max.

What would my fellow button quail owners/breeders call her colour? Slate? Slate redbreasted pied? Again I'm stumped coz I cannot find her version of pied anywhere online!!
20221030_111308.jpg
20221030_111343.jpg

Another question for the genetics inclined peepers ... I have 3 female Darths who's mother is a silver redbreasted. Am I right in thinking if I pair them with my 3 available silver males I would have a higher chance of producing silver young? Silver is recessive so that means tht my darths carry the silver gene, yet are not heavily inclined to produce silvers unless another recessive is added yes?

I'm trying to get my noggin round the genetics of buttons but there isn't very much readily available info out there tht goes into depth about it. I would love to be pointed towards a genetics chart so I could think more clearly about pairings, but it hasn't been made as far as I can see.

I think it may be because the variants away from the traditional colours are still relatively young, is this a correct assumption?

Your top pick is gorgeous! She looks like a pied version one of my darker female red breasted hens I used to have. I wish I still had her but she was sold in a trio a year ago. I have Gerry's button quail book, I can have a look through there and see if I can find the match to your hen.

Wow very pretty coloring! How many quail do you have it seems like a lot? I currently have 7
I have 2 breeding groups, one group of 6, consisting of 2 redbreasted, 1 bluefaced tuxedo, 1 darth splash, 1 silver redbreasted and 1 silver tuxedo. The other group is 4 1 silver redbreasted, 1 redbreasted, 1 darth and 1 silver White winged pied.
I also have my "grow out cage" with the 3 chicks in the top section and my 2 bachelor males have the other 2 sections together (plus a third of the top section for integration with the chicks Once they're grown) My bachelors are my Darth Vadar white winged pied and my silver splash xx

I have 2 breeding groups, one group of 6, consisting of 2 redbreasted, 1 bluefaced tuxedo, 1 darth splash, 1 silver redbreasted and 1 silver tuxedo. The other group is 4 1 silver redbreasted, 1 redbreasted, 1 darth and 1 silver White winged pied.
I also have my "grow out cage" with the 3 chicks in the top section and my 2 bachelor males have the other 2 sections together (plus a third of the top section for integration with the chicks Once they're grown) My bachelors are my Darth Vadar white winged pied and my silver splash xx
Right now I have 4 males and 3 females (looking to re home one of the males soon). I have a pair of wild type red breasted the male is named Fred and the female is named Penny, A pair of silvers that dont have names, a pair of normal tuxedos, and a cinnamon tuxedo named Vince. They all live together in a large cage and I plan to hatch more in the spring.

Ive got another 2 eggs in the bator due this weekend, already spring here n I've a waiting list already from peeps who had last years birds. Just need to decide if I'm going to create another breeding group as my hatching eggs are going fast too xx

Ive got another 2 eggs in the bator due this weekend, already spring here n I've a waiting list already from peeps who had last years birds. Just need to decide if I'm going to create another breeding group as my hatching eggs are going fast too xx
Oh your lucky. It is gonna stay winter here for another few months which sucks because I
hate winter and really just wanna hatch more chicks now :barnie

You could always have an indoor group 😁 xx
I have had my quail for a year now I hatched them last year in like September. They were inside my bedroom for the winter and then we put them outside near the chickens for the summer. Now they are in the garage I want to have them inside but my parents think they are too messy T_T

Back
Top Bottom