A good chick brooder?

Yes I plan on using the coop once the ducks are old enough to go out side and it's warm enough. I will have to check on the heating pads, so u just burry them under the shavings? Will the regular mason jar waterers work? I can support them so they don't fall over

A heat cave is basically a wire shelf (think small half circle) then lay a towel wrapped heat pad over top....I use press n seal saran wrap around the towel so the pad never gets damp/soiled & then hay or bedding over top. It acts like a broody mom would & promotes more natural heat, faster feathering BC they will venture out to cold for short periods & no risk of them overheating.

I've been using a dog kennel that has been cleaned out. I put a wooden perch in there any by the end of the first week they were using it. I also use a red heat lamp.

How big was your oerch?
I actually used a perch made from the wood of an old wooden hanger- the bottom part. Its square in shape and is probably about 1 inch x 1/2 inch around and its about a foot long. I put is between the wire grates in the dog kennel and its maybe 2 inches off the ground. They absolutely love it. I need to put another perch in there too since they are getting bigger and there isn't room for all of them.

Ok I plan on making one one of 2x4 bases maybe 4" off the ground and have a 1x2 go between them maybe a foot and then maybe make one a bit taller for when they get older and go maybe 10" off the ground?

I've used the wire dog crates and large rabbit cages...they all work. I cut up a cardboard box as a barrier around the cage to protect them from the cat and the dogs cause I start them in the house the 1st few weeks. I too like many others use the red heat lamp. My brother uses the large 250-300 gal water tank to brood his chicks. Basically a brooder is a safe place for the chicks to be to adjust to their new surroundings and get a good jump start before heading to the coop. They need room to run,food, water, and a heat source....that's all a brooder needs to be.

Like the jars with water bases? Probably I just cut down a lot of my chore time using bottles/nipples. I'm on my phone but when I get on comp later I will link you the heat pad cave for pics.

Yes the jars with water bases. I have a wooden crate 4x4 so I'm not sure how the nipples would work for me? What about putting chicken wire on top so they don't get over my 24" sides

Only thing I didn't like is all the bedding/poop that ends up in those. I zip or wire tie quart or half gallon jugs(with nipples in bottom) to sides of whatever I'm using. Wire over top would be fine, probably not needed til a couple weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom