A great link on Flock Management Practices

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DawnSuiter, Nov 12, 2009.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been researching our new watering system and came across this link with downloadable PDF
    http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/poultry_equipment.html

It's really fantastic with lots of information on all daily aspects of keeping, except maybe disease.
    Sorry if it's a repost.. haven't yet seen it myself until today.

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    That is a very good link, full of all kinds of useful information. Thanks!

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey, thanks very much for posting that link, Dawn! I really enjoy Plamondon's articles and would never have run into that one otherwise (not all of his systems and preferences translate well to backyard hobby flocks, but most do, and even the ones that don't, it's interesting to hear him arguing his point [​IMG])

Is that the source for what you were talking about on another thread recently about just 1-2 low electric wires containing chickens? Because, I notice that if you read what he actually says, he is saying it *doesn't* contain them very well, just "sorta kinda" (he is enclosing *acres* that way, not smaller plots of land, and still seems to have a fair number of chickens go thru the fence if you look at the stories he tells [​IMG])

Thanks,

Pat

4. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It may very well be, I can't remember now.. I thought it was a book, but perhaps not. But that would make sense in my head with the use of "generally" it will work and "occassionally" birds will get out. I was thinking in terms of large pastures, not tiny yards for sure.. in my case, it might've been useful to enclose parts of my acreage... but as discussed, it probably won't work very well anyway.

A neighbor recently did her yard for a small horse... I drove by there today and it reminded me of that thread too. Oh how I wish it would work, the wires look so simple to install & move around... could be nice.. but likely wouldn't be very effective.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by