A great oppurtonity to help kids

Cocky

Songster
12 Years
Nov 15, 2007
Georgetown, SC
I am a third grade teacher, and I have recently found an internet site that allows people all over the world to help students around the nation have experiences that they would otherwise miss out on. It is called donors choose and you can look at all kinds of projects that teachers want to do and if you want to you can choose to support that project....either partially or (if you want) entirely. This is a great way to help kids because there are many comanys out there who will match whatever is given so basically if you give anything you are really giving double what ever you send.

What does this have to do with chickens? Well I have noticed that there are constantly teachers who want to either incubate eggs for their students to experience this wonderful hobby that we all share, or teach life cycles in other ways that relate to chickens. If you go to this site and search around a little it won't take long to find a chicken related project. As a matter of fact, I have a project on there now to get some candling equipment for my students so they can see the chicks inside of the eggs that I am going to incubate for them. I already have a donor who has promised to match whatever else gets donated up to half the price of my project. If you would like please take a look at my project or others and consider helping some students get to experience this wonderful opportunity.

Here is the link to my project: http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=214802

Here
is a link to the home page:
http://www.donorschoose.org/homepage/main.html

Last edited:
I think it's a wonderful idea! I'll have to talk to the mister about donating (how much, etc) . My oldest is in kinder this year and her teacher is all over the chicken thing. Had to bring in blown out eggs, boiled eggs and all! It's just stupifies me on how I take it for granted that my kids get all into nature, when kids that sit beside her have never seen an egg outside of the grocery store refrigerated section. lol
We have a catapiller that's cacooning right now, incubators full, and they get to watch every stage. It teaches them more then you could ever guess.

Yes. It is such a joy to be able to show children things like that, that you know they have never seen and probably never will again. It amazes them when you candle the egg and they can actually see the chick moving around in the egg.

You should tell your daughters teacher about this website. It is a great resource for teachers to get material that they might not be able to have otherwise.

Last edited:
i will, thanks. It's funny, I finally have a place to go to thru-out the day where people understand why i have more pics of my chickens then i do of my kids. why? cause the kids are inside with me, and i have to leave most of the birds outside!

What a contradiction to my kid's school. They won't let chickens in the door because of "bird flu risk." Makes me want to wear my coop shoes in and walk up and down the hallways. I've seen the owner of the dairy farm in there with his work boots too, come to think of it.

At my daughter's school last monday, this one mom had picked up a dog from the pound to surprise her son, the dog gakked all in front of the doorway, and of course, walked away, not cleaning it up, just calling the dog nasty. Was so tempted to tell the school that come next monday, i was gonna bring my rooster up there to doo-doo in the hall. Bet it would bring the animal nasties to an end. lol

I am so excited, I just got my first donation since the company offered to match any donation given up to half.

It was for 29 dollars, and now I only need 77 more dollars to complete the proposal.

Back
Top Bottom