A happy midpoint to a sad story, Buddy's saga, + photo

Quote:
We have 2 other outside dogs, but I haven't let them around him yet. When he first came home though, he wanted to eat any cat that came near him and if we took him for a ride and left him in the car to run in somewhere, he would bark and growl at the window at anyone near him. He now co-exists with the cats and does much better around other people. He pays no attention to any of the birds and loves to walk down by the guineas and geese just to hear them squawk! He must have arthritis or something because he absolutely won't let you pick him up. He is also very possessive of his "bed and blankets"! Other than that, we have really enjoyed having him in our family. Like I said, the hardest part is not knowing what he is "missing" from his former life. A favorite treat, his usual dog food, a toy, something that he can't communicate to us. I try to make it up to him by giving him everything! Too bad you don't live closer, Buddy and Thunder could have a play date!

Quote:
We have 2 other outside dogs, but I haven't let them around him yet. When he first came home though, he wanted to eat any cat that came near him and if we took him for a ride and left him in the car to run in somewhere, he would bark and growl at the window at anyone near him. He now co-exists with the cats and does much better around other people. He pays no attention to any of the birds and loves to walk down by the guineas and geese just to hear them squawk! He must have arthritis or something because he absolutely won't let you pick him up. He is also very possessive of his "bed and blankets"! Other than that, we have really enjoyed having him in our family. Like I said, the hardest part is not knowing what he is "missing" from his former life. A favorite treat, his usual dog food, a toy, something that he can't communicate to us. I try to make it up to him by giving him everything! Too bad you don't live closer, Buddy and Thunder could have a play date!

Yeah - car rides are miserable (for me) because Buddy has this very high-pitched whine, and whines the WHOLE TIME! His previous owner didn't have a car, so it's understable. But still hard to take! How do your other dogs feel, knowing that Thunder is there?

Last edited:
Now Thunder, on the other hand, rode in the vehicle with his owner all the time. Apparently the guy just didn't ever roll the window up enough to keep him in! He said he was "tired of chasing him". However, he rides good, doesn't try to get out and is really a laid back dog. I have no idea what problems the owner seemed to have had with him.

When we would first take Thunder out, he and the girls used to bark at each other across the yard, constantly. Now, they don't seem to mind at all and once in a while I will take him to the kennel to sniff them through the fence. When they are out, we leave him in the house. Our greatest accomplishment is that he will let an occasional cat in the house and even share his food without eating the cat! We also have a tie out for him off the porch to put him on inside, open the door and let him have 20 feet to roam (we use this when it is really cold, dark, etc. otherwise we take him on walks). When he is out on his tie out, it is right next to where the cats sleep/eat and he pretty much ignores them now unless they tease him or something.

love.gif
:loveI myself have a farm animal sanctuary. So I know the ups and downs of rescued animals. It breaks my heart to feel their suffering. But it also brings me joy as you watch them recover both physicaly and mentaly. Bless you!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom