A hawk almost kills my chicken

The hawk now knows where there's "food" so it will be back. 2x Pork Pie Ken, I have a mobile run that I put my young ones in, they're not allowed "free ranging" until they're at least 6 - 8 months. Now I don't allow any free ranging, I have only 4 BOs at this time, they're confined to an 8 x 12 enclosure. We have residential hawks that fly over now & then, had a juvenile stop over at the neighbors when it got separated from it's parents. It cried out & parents came to "rescue" it.

Pix of my mobile run...

That looks really nice!

Thats a tough one. I'd suggest not letting your chickens out for a couple of months. At 3 months old, they are perfect bite-size hawk bait (and they lack a fully developed prey instinct, so it appears). The only birds I've lost to hawks have been around that age. I know keep them in a run until they are 4-5 months old.

I'm so scare of that bird coming back. No I don't let them out. No way!

Oh, I'm so sorry for you and your chickens. I hope they will be okay. I recently had a hawk attack also. I wasn't so lucky. We lost our Silkie, she was the smallest and slowest in my flock. I think the other responses were good advice. I wish you all the best. I'm glad you were there to scare that hawk away.
They are very happy now again. I'm learning a lot in this site so very helpful thanks to everyone's wisdom. They are my only two chicken. I'm not allowed to have chicken where I live, but my neighbor has one hen as well a lot older so is sad that she is lonely. Neighbors are ok with mine. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom