A Hawk Is Killing Our Chickens. What should I do?

I used to get 15 eggs a day, now I am down to 5 eggs. I have watched them kill my chickens. I have seen them kill kittens and other farm animals.

I curse each one that I see. I've lost more than a few birds to the winged rats. I had one swoop down so close to me that I could have kicked it, a Cooper's hawk, and he tried to take one of my LF hens. She didn't really even budge, she squatted for him. At first I thought it was just one of my cockerels getting frisky because he was so bold.

I'm not judging you at all for your frustration with these birds. I'm just trying to save you possible fines/legal trouble.

I love watching my chickens roam free. They need protected from being killed in my/their yard

I'm not judging you at all for your frustration with these birds. I'm just trying to save you possible fines/legal trouble.

Exactly - one can offer all the justification they think they have, but that does not change facts. I grew up on a farm and live on one now - does not change my comprehension of the law with regards to this matter. Ultimately, when we choose to have free range flocks, this is the risk we are choosing to accept. There are steps that can be taken to try to minimize the risks - and steps that can be taken during a period where an active hawk is predating the flock to safeguard the poultry and encourage the hawk to move on.....all within the boundaries of the law.

I have been feeding 5 different families with my eggs. I do not sell eggs. These families give me their egg cartons to fill. I enjoy helping the less fortunate. I have plenty of land the hawks can hunt. I want them to stay out of my yard

I have been feeding 5 different families with my eggs. I do not sell eggs. These families give me their egg cartons to fill. I enjoy helping the less fortunate. I have plenty of land the hawks can hunt. I want them to stay out of my yard

That is all well and good, but I'm not sure what this has to do with the issue or how it changes the facts of the situation
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom