A Hawk Is Killing Our Chickens. What should I do?

Shoot it! If it destroys your livestock

While this is an old thread with the OP long since moved on, I wanted to point out that even with the destruction of livestock one must be very careful advising and/or acting on the advice to destroy birds of prey as many fall under Federal protection and destroying one, even one that is killing livestock, can result in substantial legal ramifications.

They are no longer endangered.

Pray tell which specific species of hawk you are referring to and whether the assurance was made regarding state law or federal - as well as if you are in the same state as the person you are advising to destroy the bird in question (again, long since passed) as these are all things that one must consider in giving advice with the possible ramifications involved here.

They are still federally protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. You can apply for special permit to shoot them, but they're nigh impossible to obtain. You have to prove that you have gone through all sorts of ridiculous measures to deter them and contain your flock, you have to have absolute proof that it was a hawk, and you have to prove that these deaths are significantly effecting your livelihood (not many backyard chicken keepers can say that they EVER make any money off of their birds). I was recently going through some old family photos from the 30s-40s. In one of the photos, there were two small children (younger than 5) holding what, at first, appeared to be dead chickens. Upon closer inspection, they were hawks and the children were playing with them. I was simultaneously horrified and a bit jealous. lol

Last edited:
Everyone has the right to protect their property. The hawks were put on endanger species decades ago. The problem now is our politicians have forgot to take in to consideration of the damage these birds have caused. I live in Oklahoma. You can drive from one utility pole to the next and see these things. In just about every state look at your fence poles. They are sitting everywhere . New studies need conducted to see about managing this population it is out of control. People should be able to enjoy their animals without having to worry about these menace.

I used to get 15 eggs a day, now I am down to 5 eggs. I have watched them kill my chickens. I have seen them kill kittens and other farm animals.

Back
Top Bottom