A He or a She. How old till you know for sure?

pne123

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
I have two RIR chicks about 6 days old. One is almost twice as big as the other. I am wondering if she is a he. I can take pictures of the two to post but what part of the bird should take pictures of?

Did you hatch them? If so, where from? Congrats on them, by the way! Whoohoo! I think taking pic's of their combs, feathering in their rump, top photo of their back, pic's of their legs.... All photos help. So glad you have some healthy chicks! Great job!

My RIR boys (from TSC) are smaller, and they are over 2 weeks and still have very little tails. Their combs aren't all that pronounced yet.
About their 2 week bday they started bumping chests and jumping on each other, even though I've known since day 1 who the mouthy dominant one is.

Pullets will do the chest bumping thing too, though maybe not as much. I think for RIR the first really good indication is the redness of the comb. I have 9 wk old RIR and am still not really sure of all of them.

We got them from the local feed store. The usually 90% chance of being pullets.
3484684559_ea0e84879b_o.png

3485489568_8536f46486_b.jpg

3485491810_74e3a441e5_b.jpg

3484675377_e66a24cf00_b.jpg

Last edited:
I sure hope poulets do the chest bump'n thing...I have two chicks about a week and half old...(one buff orpington and one barred rock) and I have been giving them meal worms periodically, so today I suppose they are 'getting used to it' and starting to 'expect' it!
roll.png

soooo today I went in to check on them (no meal worms in hand) and when I put my face over the edge of the brooder to say "hi" they both started squak'n and bump'n chest until they realized there was no worm to be fight'n over...LOL...it was a kind of funny display of rank, yet I'm not certain they have develop their rank just yet???

Anyhow, long story short, I hope poulets bump chest, because I can't have a rooster (let alone TWO of them)
hmm.png

Quote:
You need to upload those to photobucket.com or backyardchickens.com's photo place first...can't wait to see them!
big_smile.png

OK. figured it out.

first pic shows the tails. one on the left is lucy and is 50% bigger. we think she might be luke instead of lucy

second pic lucy (luke) is on the right

third pic is lucy (luke)

and forth pic is chickie.

Chickie is the dominate one but is smaller. way more active than lucy.

Back
Top Bottom