a hen can lay eggs of different shades of brown

warren

Songster
12 Years
Sep 29, 2007
UK
4204_bella_eggs.jpg

These 6 eggs were all laid by the same hen on the dates written on the shells. I only have 3 hens and one is not yet laying and the other is a pullet and lays small eggs, so I know that they were all laid by the same hen. No other hen could have got in and laid them.
Does anyone know why they are different shades of brown? The hen is about 3 years old and has loose droppings. I am worming her just now. She shows no other signs of poor health at the moment. She has no parasites, is eating well and is well feathered.
Someone told me that egg colour is genetic, but that clearly is not the full story.

I've read that as a hen ages, the color of her egg shell lightens. My oldest aren't 3 yet, so I don't know....

I know when our ladies find different yard yummies when foraging or aren't getting enough oyster shell, it shows in the variation from the normal color of the shells.

We've never wormed our flock, but I imagine that might have some effect too.

Hi Chicabee. The reddish areas are where the shell has grown extra thick. It has only happened on two eggs in this batch and in about the same place. It must be a malfunction of the organ that lays down the shell, but it is a little strange that it does not happen with every egg. She is about 3 years old so I suppose things are getting a little worn...but she is a good layer for her age.

Hens will lay temporarily lighter-colored (and often chalkier) eggs if they experience heat stress, or run short on water. Do the light eggs correspond to weather changes by any chance?

Pat

Back
Top Bottom