1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

a hen can lay eggs of different shades of brown

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by warren, Aug 14, 2008.

1. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    [​IMG]

These 6 eggs were all laid by the same hen on the dates written on the shells. I only have 3 hens and one is not yet laying and the other is a pullet and lays small eggs, so I know that they were all laid by the same hen. No other hen could have got in and laid them.
    Does anyone know why they are different shades of brown? The hen is about 3 years old and has loose droppings. I am worming her just now. She shows no other signs of poor health at the moment. She has no parasites, is eating well and is well feathered.
    Someone told me that egg colour is genetic, but that clearly is not the full story.

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I am also curious about this question. I have 7 BO's and all the eggs are different colors. Some even darker than the ones you have. John

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I've read that as a hen ages, the color of her egg shell lightens. My oldest aren't 3 yet, so I don't know....

I know when our ladies find different yard yummies when foraging or aren't getting enough oyster shell, it shows in the variation from the normal color of the shells.

We've never wormed our flock, but I imagine that might have some effect too.

4. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    what are those reddish spots on 2 of the eggs?

[​IMG]

5. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    Hi Chicabee. The reddish areas are where the shell has grown extra thick. It has only happened on two eggs in this batch and in about the same place. It must be a malfunction of the organ that lays down the shell, but it is a little strange that it does not happen with every egg. She is about 3 years old so I suppose things are getting a little worn...but she is a good layer for her age.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Hens will lay temporarily lighter-colored (and often chalkier) eggs if they experience heat stress, or run short on water. Do the light eggs correspond to weather changes by any chance?

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by