A Hen got hit by a car...

Alyssa3668

Hatching
Sep 30, 2019
this morning a car hit a hen, I thought she was a goner but when I went out she was getting up and was able to walk away slowly. She’s still a little slow but the injury I’m most concerned about is in the rear, she has part of her butthole exposed. She’s a laying hen so there is a solid concern and the fact that her back end isn’t doing so well. Anyone even have this before. She is drinking and has been just chilling in our arms for a majority of the night. Thoughts!? Ps this is the only time I’ve had to ask for advice so not sure how this works!

How is the hen doing this evening?
She is probably in shock, and electrolytes will help that for the day. pictures would really help .

Clean with warm water and apply Antibiotic cream without pain relief or use Betadine and keep in isolation in warm room 75-80F. Is all the advice I can give without seeing the injury,

She’s still a little slow but the injury I’m most concerned about is in the rear, she has part of her butthole exposed.

So it is called a "vent" because your eggs also come out of there... not being rude just trying to help.

How hard was she hit (did you see it)? Externally there may not be many injuries but internally she may be beat up. Keep her away from the other birds and in a quiet, relaxed place so she can heal. You'll know tomorrow more about the extent of the damage based on how she acts and the potential for other issues.

Really sorry to hear she got hit.

Sorry to hear about your hen. I had a hen that we wondered if she was hit, for we found her dead beside the road and she was a healthy hen before hand.
I hope your hen gets better quickly, but I would be concerned about internal damage. It's amazing that your hen survived the hit if people, dogs, cats, and even deer and moose die from being hit by cars every year.

I hear y’all and I’m very concerned about her inners! That’s what I’m most worried about. Her egg laying area is looking like this.. warning, it’s not pretty. She’s acting pretty normal but I just don’t want her to suffer. I’ve got her in a 100gal tank in our dining room wood shavings. water, and food. She seems to be ok but, I’m just not sure. I don’t want her to suffer...

Attachments

• 8853C31B-3D0F-4B09-B1A9-E15913E8237E.jpeg
    8853C31B-3D0F-4B09-B1A9-E15913E8237E.jpeg
    724.1 KB · Views: 11
Sorry to hear about your hen. I had a hen that we wondered if she was hit, for we found her dead beside the road and she was a healthy hen before hand.
I hope your hen gets better quickly, but I would be concerned about internal damage. It's amazing that your hen survived the hit if people, dogs, cats, and even deer and moose die from being hit by cars every year.
I watched her literally “pooof” in front of my eyes... there was NO way I thought she was still alive! But it was a Ford Focus so maybe that was a blessing in its self...

I would clean with warm water or Saline solution, put some antibiotic cream without pain reliever or dab with betadine. you will need to keep that moist and not allow flies to get around her., Also if you can electotyes as she is probably in shock and keep her warm and immobile and watch treat her at least 2 times a day.

Back
Top Bottom