A Hen with attitude

QBRanch

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 5, 2008
Colorado
Ok, so i need some help. I have a hen who has a huge attitude. And now she has an accomplice. Neither hens will let the other hens or roos eat unless I am in the coop. They won't even let the other hens in the coop at night. Any suggestions? The bad part is right now she's my only layer! UGH, not sure what to do about her. Will they all get along after awhile? Oh, I bought my roos about three weeks ago and brought home the other 6 hens last week! Any help please!
And remember she's my only layer!

I think they are still establishing the pecking order. When I introduced my big girls to my younger ones (all about the same size), the big girls did the same thing. I had 4 of each. I ended up introducing them 1 at a time until I got to the last 2. Each time the same thing happened for about a week or so. I think if you give it time they will come around. Just make sure there is food in a couple of places in the run. I would also let them free range some to make sure they all get something to eat.

Now, I've seen some of my younger ones pecking the bigger girls. Serves them right. I just laugh at how the tables have turned...LOL!
I think things will work for your flock. Just give it time. HTH

Quote:
chickens are social creatures, they need to be in flocks.

there is a hierarchy of pecking order. they need to sort it out themselves. theres really nothing you can do to improve or help it. only just to make sure one doesn't get pecked so bad to the extent of injury and make sure none of them starve.

it is said that when u introduce a new hen... OR take away a hen ...the pecking order will have to start all over again.

and once they do sort it out themselves... they do peck each other here and there, which is normal.
because theres always a boss and one will be at the bottom of the food chain.

Back
Top Bottom