A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Yellow House Farm, May 3, 2014.

1. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA

I actually didn't recognize the screen name, or even look at it. Was just giving advice and assumed it was a standard breed because of what thread the question was in.

Isbars don't have a standard here or anywhere else in the world. That is likely why you can't find an answer. Split breast doesn't affect egg production, and since there's no standard, breed for any cosmetic issues you like. Already told you that though.

2. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    OK, so I just saw your pics below. Though I have no experience breeding those, per se; my gut reaction is that I would imagine that split breast would be a serious fault. If it is a recessive trait, as Karen suggested, than you definitely want to cull it, because if it takes hold you'll have a bear of a time removing it. On the other hand, insofar as they're not standard-bred fowl and have very little chance of being recognized, I wouldn't think it would actually matter because I can't imagine split breast impacting egg production. It will, however, damage the gene pool for future improvements.

Good luck with those.

3. Apparently many breed standards don't mention split breast at all, as fault or otherwise, from what I am reading of the "other" forum being referenced here.

4. Kinmera

Kinmera Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2014
    Falconer, NY
    Posting to follow the discussion

5. Yellow House Farm

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    I say that it is because the opposite is addressed. It is part of what implied in the breast description that reads "well rounded". A "well rounded" breast would not be split and would not be cut off in sharp descent to shank.

1 person likes this.
  6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    How do you "fix" a cut-off breast?
    Thanks,
    Karen

7. Yellow House Farm

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    Well, I'm not sure if it is recessive, I've not researched it. If you've discovered that it is recessive, and it is expressing itself that means that the gene is strong in the gene pool. As Matt clearly stated, one would cull it, and cull every bird that expresses it, because if it is recessive and expressing that means that it homogenous for it, which means it will give the gene to all progeny.

8. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I would like to see a picture of the "spit breast".

Karen, what do you mean by "cut off" breast?

9. Yellow House Farm

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    George, I was referring to the breast line that almost cuts from lower next to shank without first filling out in a well rounded full breast, in short a shallow, undeveloped breast.

10. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    "breast...would not be cut off in sharp descent to shank."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by