A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Yellow House Farm, May 3, 2014.

1. capayvalleychick

capayvalleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    I would like to see how breeders set up their cages for cage training. Joseph has posted photos of his cages out on the lawn, for use in evaluation. For cage training, you need them set up in a more predator proof setting. Looking for ideas.

2. newmanmichael

newmanmichael Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Pensacola, Florida

See if this video helps

4 people like this.
  3. Redtractorranch

Redtractorranch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    San Martin, CA
    I use stacking cages from Bass equipment in my barn for cage training.

http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Stackable+Cages/default.aspx

They also can double for quarantine cages when returning from a show or "hospital" cages for treating the injured bird before reintroducing into the flock. I typically use 24x24, but have some of the big ones that I use to do pair matings of my bantams.

2 people like this.
  4. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    That was quite amazing. Thanks. [​IMG]

5. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    I have several large growing coops; so I set one of them up like a show and have the cages in there for night protection.

1 person likes this.
  6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Is shafting always bad? I have Silver Campines and all have shafting in various degrees. I will not cull for this alone, yet, [​IMG] but was wondering if it is as serious a fault in a barred bird as it is in solid colored ones. Judges??

7. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    There are a few color patterns where shafting is required, but in most breeds it is a fault. It is a point deduction in every area that it is found. (back, neck, chest etc) so if you have a lot of it you will have a lot of point deductions.

Walt

8. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Thank you, Walt, that is exactly the info I needed.

9. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    Rob was out yesterday and took some shots of growing pullets. Although it's far too early to see anything definitive, there seems to be a lot of promise in the pullets this year. Their backs are beginning to show length; they've yet to fill in in the breast or to settle into their legs. Knock on wood, they've been a healthy lot and are growing uniformly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    They look good. I liked seeing the multiple feeders. I bring that up because a lot of new people haven't gotten the importance of the yet.

No where are the Anconas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by