A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

I would like to see how breeders set up their cages for cage training. Joseph has posted photos of his cages out on the lawn, for use in evaluation. For cage training, you need them set up in a more predator proof setting. Looking for ideas.

I use stacking cages from Bass equipment in my barn for cage training.

http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Stackable+Cages/default.aspx

They also can double for quarantine cages when returning from a show or "hospital" cages for treating the injured bird before reintroducing into the flock. I typically use 24x24, but have some of the big ones that I use to do pair matings of my bantams.

See if this video helps

That was quite amazing. Thanks.
big_smile.png

Is shafting always bad? I have Silver Campines and all have shafting in various degrees. I will not cull for this alone, yet,
wink.png
but was wondering if it is as serious a fault in a barred bird as it is in solid colored ones. Judges??

Is shafting always bad? I have Silver Campines and all have shafting in various degrees. I will not cull for this alone, yet,
wink.png
but was wondering if it is as serious a fault in a barred bird as it is in solid colored ones. Judges??

There are a few color patterns where shafting is required, but in most breeds it is a fault. It is a point deduction in every area that it is found. (back, neck, chest etc) so if you have a lot of it you will have a lot of point deductions.

Walt

Rob was out yesterday and took some shots of growing pullets. Although it's far too early to see anything definitive, there seems to be a lot of promise in the pullets this year. Their backs are beginning to show length; they've yet to fill in in the breast or to settle into their legs. Knock on wood, they've been a healthy lot and are growing uniformly.

Back
Top Bottom