A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Yellow House Farm, May 3, 2014.

1. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    I had them out in cages doing some early assessment and culling.

Yes, definitely need for adequate feeder and waterer space.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Does anyone here know Bob Rhodes from Mendon, Mass?

3. Yellow House Farm

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    I've never met him. He's not currently at shows a lot, but I have several friends who know him and one who got stock from him. What's your query?

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

5. Yellow House Farm

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    Never heard nor seen any trace of them, unfortunately.

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I have hatched about 150 chicks from the birds you saw at Ohio Nats last Nov. I have yet to select my breeders for next year, but I'm going to be lucky to get a trio out of them.......slow and steady........... I'm going to pick up some more birds from Cathy Gleason (TX) in two weeks. Her SCs are further along than the ones I have..........

7. Yellow House Farm

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    Awesome! You're doing it right. Try to have someone else go over the birds with you. I am a firm believer in several pairs of eyes. If you're getting another line of birds that's enough to start. I"ll keep my eyes out for something else, but one more line will give you the heterosis that you need to see vigor regained. Then it will be the process of maintaining through record keeping and multiple pairings.

In five years you are going to be looking at something vastly different.

8. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

"In five years you are going to be looking at something vastly different."

Thank you, Joseph, I need to hear that....a lot. I am really enjoying working with these birds, but was sorely disappointed in the offspring. I knew, going in, that it would be a slow process and I am a very patient person, but I think it is going to be even slower than I imagined. Two steps forward, 1 and 7/8ths steps back.

If I could find a really strong line, I would keep it separate, mostly, and just use some of the best ones to improve the weaker lines. I would appreciate you (all of you) keeping an eye out for some of the old lines (if any more exist) as I would like to preserve as many as possible.

I have come to understand that their numbers are so low that these birds are critically endangered. The ones that do exist are in really bad shape and need so much work. I would love to see them back in shape and maybe they would regain some popularity.

It is encouraging that I have gotten word of this old line (Rhodes) but I understand that he is elderly and I don't know if there is a son or daughter ready and willing to take them over. I am afraid that they will be lost. I had decided not to go to the OH Nats this year, but if I was to need to pick up some of these birds.............................

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  9. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Look . . I hate to encourage an Alabama fan . . . I am just kidding.

If you are enjoying trying your hand with the birds, then it is worth it. I find the challenge intriguing.

Good luck finding what you are looking for.

10. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Thank you, Gjensen, I haven't forgotten that you wanted to see some pics of my birds, it's just that I never remember to take my camera to the barn when I go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by