A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

My best advice is to find a breed that curls your toes. No amount of hard work, concessions, or compromise is too great when you find joy in looking at and appreciating your own birds. There is something immensely satisfying in seeing good birds get better and knowing you made the choices that made that happen. I admire and appreciate many breeds and most excellent examples of any breed, but none give me the warm expanding feeling in my chest and the smile that comes from my toes, through my stomach, and takes over my whole face when I look at my Campines. If you find a breed that affects you that way, you will not be so concerned with the secondary considerations not being just what you wanted. Case in point, I have always wanted a rainbow egg basket. I love the dark browns, olive, pink, blue green, tan and brown eggs displayed together in a basket on the counter. The only ones I didn't like were the plain old white eggs........... three guesses what color eggs the Campines lay.........

Last edited:
For the 2016 breeding season there will be two pens of Columbian Wyandotte, one pen of White cock over CW hens, a pen of CW cock over White hens, two Buckeye pens and two pens of Cochin, as well as three pens of Delaware Bantam.

I plan in hatching 50 chicks from each Wyandotte pen, and 25 from the other pens.

Later if I have room, I have a nice trio of Blue Wyandotte.

Last edited:
Can anyone on this thread give me some tips on eliminating shafting? Obviously, breed from the parents with the least shafting. Also, when reading on reducing shafting in Silver Duckwing OEG, I read to look at the underside of the males' breast feathers and choose the one that looked most "solid." His daughters should have less shafting. Any other hints?
Thanks,
Angela

The new APA Standard will be available in Feb. It will include the Marans and other breeds and varieties that are not in the current Standard. In addition there are three pages explaining the economic qualities of the Standard bred birds. This is something that the APA drifted away from over the years, but we are now putting more emphasis on those qualities.

Walt

Can anyone on this thread give me some tips on eliminating shafting? Obviously, breed from the parents with the least shafting. Also, when reading on reducing shafting in Silver Duckwing OEG, I read to look at the underside of the males' breast feathers and choose the one that looked most "solid." His daughters should have less shafting. Any other hints?
Thanks,
Angela

I do not think we know the genetics behind shafting. Regardless, the best selection criteria is going to be the most direct.

The new APA Standard will be available in Feb. It will include the Marans and other breeds and varieties that are not in the current Standard. In addition there are three pages explaining the economic qualities of the Standard bred birds. This is something that the APA drifted away from over the years, but we are now putting more emphasis on those qualities.

Walt
thumbsup.gif
!! Super !!
thumbsup.gif
Very good idea!

Walt
Yay!

Good news. Thanks for letting us know.

Sarah

Walt

Great news! My old SOP has been left outside several times when I was critiqueing my own birds and inadvertantly left it. It was never rained on, but was subjected to heavy dew once. I will be happy to have a new one and will keep the old one to used outside.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom