A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

I know this is for large fowl, but quick question:
How "show-able" are good dark Cornish bantams? I just met some nice ones in person and I think I am in love.
The breeder also has some really good large fowl dark Cornish too, but the minis just crack me up.

And to keep the subject on task, what LF breeds are newer breeders most likely to find success with in the show ring?

Last edited:
I know this is for large fowl, but quick question:
How "show-able" are good dark Cornish bantams? I just met some nice ones in person and I think I am in love.
The breeder also has some really good large fowl dark Cornish too, but the minis just crack me up.
Bantam Cornish have won several National ABA/APA meets.

Walt

Echoing Walt! Bantam Corninsh--of good quality--are great. Hopefully you'd have a mentor to start. Make sure your "breeder" is an actual breeder who is part of his/her local APAABA community. The web is full of "breeders" that are not breeders. If you're going to start with Cornish, you want to start with top quality froma reputable breeder--because you can.

And to keep the subject on task, what LF breeds are newer breeders most likely to find success with in the show ring?

The ones they get from an active APA/ABA breeder who is part of the APA/ABA community and who shows often. That covers dozens of breeds. You want to get your stock from a breeder who shows actively.

Yes, this guy is very active in showing. He runs the Fowl Fest here in Michigan. But I didn't want to insult him by asking if his breed was any good (plus that's kind of like asking a Chevy dealer what brand of truck to buy)

I had a very good day today. One of my local BYC buddies bought a Blosi White Plymouth Rock cock about 6 mo ago and also ordered eggs from JWIP. I contacted him to tell him I would be contacting him in the spring for chicks and he said he had one Blosi hen and 3 JWIP hens and a cockerel. So I'm picking them up tomorrow. He does a lot of showing down in La but I think he deals in Bantams. It was a trade/barter deal. I wanted to get rid of my practice hatchery chickens so I am paying him $120 and trading his wife 2 Delawares and a male and female super blue egg layer by DMRippy. Now to put the other 10 pullets on CL to clean out some space. Yea!!!
wee.gif

Yes, this guy is very active in showing. He runs the Fowl Fest here in Michigan. But I didn't want to insult him by asking if his breed was any good (plus that's kind of like asking a Chevy dealer what brand of truck to buy)

You could ask him what their strong points are and what needs work. There is no perfect chicken. A good breeder will know the strengths and weaknesses of his/her particular birds. The breeders who are interested in improving the breed will be up front about the issues. Sometimes the breeders are more critical of their own birds than other people are. It pays to ask lots of questions.

I have a breeding group of good but not exceptional Shaffer line Large Fowl Barred Plymouth Rocks. I have 4 pullets and 2 nice cockerels I culled down from 30 I raised this year. I would like to find someone to continue working with this line. I am located near Pensacola Florida. For the right breeder I'd make a good deal to assure that these birds get in the hands of someone who will appreciate them.

Back
Top Bottom