A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

...Javas are not a lost cause... Not sure about Dorkings or Doms...
I can't speak for Doms or Javas, but I think I can speak to the Dorking situation. Whites and Reds need work, but are not a lost cause. I gave up on Silver Grey Dorkings after seeing birds from 4 different sources, and hearing of 2 other sources which were no longer selling SG Dorkings. There are 3 other relatively recent-onset breeders of Silver Greys, CapayKim on BYC as well as 2 other farms not on BYC.
Best wishes,
Angela

Joseph is sticking with his Dorkings. He is not getting out of them.

I do not think any breed is a lost cause. That is if there are any left at all. I am working on more of a "lost cause" than any mentioned, and making progress. Little by little.

I would not make a decision based on what or who is in the most need. Those kinds of concerns are not enough to sustain us. That is like wedding someone out of sympathy or a sense of obligation. Instead, I would go with what interested you the most. No matter the breed. Go with what you like the most, and what interests you the most. Their look, their type, their potential, their history etc. All of the Large Fowl could use another champion or two.

I agree, George. I really had no choice but to try working with the Silver Campines. Everyone told me to start with something easier. They said not only were they FAR from standard, but the color pattern was going to be too challenging for a beginner.

My head listened, and believed, truly, but my heart still wanted them.

There was only one other breed that I thought I might like - the Lakenvelder. Both breeds are rare, both are in the Continental group, both patterns are challenging, both have slate legs, horn beaks, and lay white eggs. When I came to my decision, it was because I realized that I just admired the color of the Lakenvelder. Not the entire bird.

I loved the Campines from the first ones I picked up in a mixed straight run bin at the feed store because I had never seen any like them and was curious as to what they were. I did some research and realized they made me draw a sharp breath whenever I saw pictures of good ones (still do!) I have raised one hen that made me smile, but lost her. I have several cockerels this year that make me stop and stare. I'm hooked, a lost cause.

It has taken me five years to get to the point that I am now. I started actively trying to find and acquire breeders in 2008 and finally got my hands on three in 2011. I never raised the first chick off of them. I tried again and went all the way to Ohio to get five in 2013. I was terribly disappointed in them. Slowly but surely, I managed to build my numbers up and now have over 200. I will be culling all but 1 current breeder cock and will keep the three best cockerels from this years hatch. I will keep the best three hens and share the next best three with another breeder.

I have my hands full with trying to breed these birds, but I love every minute of it. I can keep it up for a long, long, long time. That's a good thing, too, because they have a long, long, long way to go.

And, to top it all off, one of the best breeders of White Dorkings in the country (Yellow House Farms) has decided to stop breeding them in favor of only Anconas.

I checked out Joseph's website. This was indeed the last year for his White Dorkings. That certainly causes me to lean towards the breed since it has lost one of its greatest champions! Was there more to his decision save to focus on the Anconas?

Last edited:
I checked out Joseph's website. This was indeed the last year for his White Dorkings. That certainly causes me to lean towards the breed since it has lost one of its greatest champions! Was there more to his decision save to focus on the Anconas?

As I understand it, he's just got too many responsibilities and too little time to devote to all of them, what with a full-time job and a farm to manage. I know he had previously posted his intent to focus only on one breed and had planned on the Dorkings, but his wife is very fond of the Anconas and put the kabosh on that idea.

Greetings, all!

My apologies for the drama and game-change.

Without boring you with the details, our last year was, for both of us, supercharged with professional responsibility. Several projects came to fruition at the same time, and although all positive, it was honestly overwhelming. Unrelated and yet the frosting on the cake, we had a grueling winter. It was unreal, and in what I thought was a clear-headed measured decision, I decided that I needed to downsize. Rob was in agreement.

Starting in March, though, things started to finish, projects were ending and successful, and by mid-May everything was wrapped up. No one had a heart-attack, and all's well that ends well. We hadn't hatched any Dorkings. We had tried to take orders, but the world wasn't working with that endeavor. It was time to disperse the flock. I mentioned it to Rob, and surprisingly, he was reticent. As the stress of work production cleared, it became clear that we would miss these birds with which we have worked for years. In the end, we realized that we did not need to downsize; we just needed a break. Likely we hadn't done away with the Dorkings before the realization. I also should admit that all of the kind words of concern were helpful.

We are, however, embarking on a specific project the details of which we'll discuss at a later date. It is a bid to make some drastic improvements in our stock. We are hopeful. To commence the endeavor, we have started some stock. Two out of three settings have hatched. Here are some pics from our first hatch. Be well! Joseph.

Neapolitancrazy:
wink.png

JOSEPH!
You may not dangle that in front of us just to snatch it away without any hint of when the secret will be disclosed!
It will not do! It's cruel!
I won't have it! To be left hanging like that is unacceptable!
You must tell us!

Well.... okay, how about just another hint?
tongue.png

Hi Joseph,
So glad you decided to stay with the Dorkings! Looking forward to reading about your new project later. I took a break from my Light Sussex too this year. Busy at work, a lot of things going on. We have one chick hatched by a hen. Look like a cockerel. Last year I admit to being very discouraged by the cool reception accorded my lovely pure English strain LS when I offered them to the fancy at 4 months old. It had a lot to do with not breeding this year. But I have gotten past it and look forward to next year. If no one is interested in pure English LS, then I will just enjoy them myself, smile.
Best Success,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom