A Legal Defense Fund for Backyard Chickens ? Who is Funding it ?

we need a flag

and some smear adds to run against the anti chicken people show them calling baby chicks names and stuff

slogans good ones we can chant, " Hell no we won't crow !!!"

OK sorry if I offended anyone, and I did pull that basement comment quickly by editing. Anyway I was just looking for a catchy domain name. Of course most chicken related names were taken. I settled on CLUCKING.org. COMMITTEE for LEGAL URBAN CHICKEN KEEPING IN NEIGHBORHOODS GLOBALLY. Lol, it was short notice. Anyway, I will give access to it to someone for free if they have something going or want to help. Let's get some suggestions going.

I'm in! I agree with Muddyhorse though - we need a logo.

Ive learned over the years that to be successful at something, you have to first discover and resolve problems that effect it's success. In short - figure out why it WOULDNT work, then find solutions to those problems. Here's the first few thing that come to mind.

smile.png
We need a "model", a member that has challenged their town and won.
smile.png
A proven system/database to draw info from.....Could we tap into BYC's thread on "laws"? Maybe add a section to the CLUCKING website that allows others to post their experiences?
smile.png
A website is an absolute must, and thanks to wpalmisano for solving that one already!!
wink.png

smile.png
Unfortunately, even as an ambassador or pro-bono form of help, it's still going to have a high overhead. As the organization grows - so will the bandwidth charges. If not right away, then soon - a fee will need to be charged to help offest the cost.
smile.png
Advertising could be done here for a reasonable fee on BYC, but we would need to get exposure out there in other mediums as well.
smile.png
A person would have to be dedicated to this cause from the beginning, changing leaders often will fragment the services that are offered.
smile.png
Someone would have to be "married" to the site and keep it updated, daily - as well as respond to emails
smile.png
A formal filing would have to be done as a business/non-profit, or recieving contributions/support will be difficult to obtain.
smile.png
A mission statement, at what point does our services start/end?

I would love to participate! What do you need? We just fought with our city, but lost. I am still trying to decide what to do next. Do I get the girls back and be illegal? Do I forget about it? Do I bring it before the suddenly hostile city council again? Having a 'real' BYC legal defense would be ever so helpful!

Last edited:
I always thought it would be nice if there was a reference list of ag attorneys willing to help folks in various towns. I think there are actually a couple of BYC members that are ag attorneys. Going to City Hall can be a very daunting experience - most people need help.

Maybe even getting one, standardized petition that all folks can use in their neighborhoods. And another standardized ordinance draft that folks can take to their city councils.

Seattle recently upped their chicken limit - I believe from 3 to 8. It was part of a whole new ordinance of "Urban Agriculture", which also addressed residential crop growing, etc.

After being a co-PM on the L.O.R.E. project, I can tell you the ordinances across the U.S. are unbelievable - no two are alike. Some are so simple you wonder why they even bothered, and some are so complicated that the code officers can't even interpret them.

In my city, under "Accumulation of Pets", it includes chickens with rabbits, etc, and says I can have 15 (nothing said about roosters). Then, if you look under the "Livestock" section, it says you can have only 2 hens. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom