A lesson learned... the HARD WAYY!!!

Quote:
I have to disagree... I recently adopted a dog from my chick sitter. When his chicks were in the brooder, Minnie would just sit and stare down at them for hours. She could have easily taken any or all she wanted since the brooder was uncovered. When he turned them out into the yard she would be right there with them, all day, every day, never trying to hurt them in any way. Since we've had her, she wants nothing more than to be in the run with my chickens. She sits at the gate for hours and stares at them. The first day we had her my GF took her in the run with her to let the girls out. Minnie paid them no mind but the chickens on the other hand, well... freaked. One flew from the coop to the gate, about 40 ft. and the others stayed in the coop. The girls are starting to get used to her, coming up to the gate to check her out. I really don't think she would hurt them and will slowly introduce her by taking her in when I collect and clean. I'm certain that if the chickens are calm, Minnie will protect them as she did her old flock. For years farmers have been using dogs to protect their birds. I know my Grandmother did.
ETA: pic of Minnie
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/98066_7.jpg

Well I hope it works out for you! If you recently acquired her I'd still keep a close eye on her if I where you.
I guess I've seen to many chickens lost to dogs to ever trust a dog again...
sad.png

My dog is great with the chickens and ducks. He will sail right over their head to frighten off some scary-looking doe.

88997_dish43close.jpg

The 10 year old Australian Shepherd that lives here has chicken-killing in her past, but she quickly learned after a duck-in-mouth incident here. Both dogs have doggy door access and the birds free-range - so essentially, all have run of the entire world.

My neighbor's Lab was long conditioned to leave my ducks and chickens alone. Then, the boy decided to encourage him to kill Canadian Geese. Then, the boy set the leashed Lab on my ducks until he got a mouthful of feathers. The boy trained the Lab to go after my birds.

When the Lab escaped the next day, he came after my ducks, and I bad-dogged him home. On another occasion, the loose Lab leapt at one of my Mallards taking flight, and I clapped and yelled "No". I honestly believe the Lab understands now. He does not listen well to his owners that keep him locked up and leashed like a prisoner, but he and I have an old rapport from when I took him on long runs all over the farm.

The point of all this is that I believe dogs can be trained - even hunting dogs that have more smell than logic ability. Even Labs who think all attention is good attention.

Hopefully, you punished the dog immediately. You can still take the time to acclimate your dog to the birds. He can understand that he must never harm the birds. Good bird dogs are taught to retrieve downed birds without bruising the carcass.

88997_lineup.jpg

I have a Lab/Cattle Dog mix and a Pit Bull/Lab mix, both rescues. They were both gotten as puppies and have been brought up around chickens since we got them. We have had 0 problems out of them and the larger pit/lab mix "Dunken", will watch over and protect them. He is especially fond of our Barred Rocks.

On a side note, we had a friend who brought their Jack Russel over to play with my dogs. I warned the friend that if their dog would chase my chickens then it would have to stay on a leash. Wouldn't you know it, while on a leash it never even looked twice at the chickens but as soon as the leash was unhooked he bolted after my chickens. Chased on of my Reds around the front of the house and I heard them coming around the back. I waited at the corner hidden and as soon as the chicken went by I stuck out my foot. Dog ran smack into my foot and turned a flip, then he got popped "lightly" on the back end and has never chased another one at my home and has came to visit many times since. Very glad he did not get my red but I have also never seen a chicken run/fly that fast.

Back
Top Bottom