A lil help with a 14 year old

i wrote about a page here then deleted it. I think you are exploring the possibilities as you should.

Quote:
its not her child, boyd.
wink.png
just letting you know..

oh HECK NO! Not my child! My son tried that on me before and he got it good! Just today I caught him jumping from the couch to the table then back to the couch, boy was he in for it! Made him stand in the kitchen while I was cooking dinner, holding 2 cans of veggies over his head. He tried the "throw a fit" on us a few times but he knows we do not tolerate it and rarely even DARES to pull that on us!

Quote:
its not her child, boyd.
wink.png
just letting you know..

I know I know
smile.png
I just started going off on the psycho/social problems of the system
smile.png

People of course have different ideas on methods & predictions & who can know what all will happen. But McCord6, it's encouraging to hear that the boy's mother is feeling encouraged, experimenting with consequences, seeking further support, and looking into future rehab help. Hopefully there will be several positives that come from this. I am sure your friend appreciates your caring very much.

I don't have the answers but I will chime in and say every child is different. What works for your child may not help this child at all. Raising a trouble child myself, I know how frustrating it can be to hear other people say "all that kid needs is a good spanking". I am not against spankings BUT some kids could be spanked to the point of being physically abused and still it would not change them. I would suggest that she somehow make it clear how much she loves him no matter what punishments she uses to try and turn him around.

There is only one thing that is universal about these trouble children and that is that God can make a difference. I will be praying that God will open his eyes and soften his heart so he can see how much his family loves him and that he would have a desire to become a blessing to his family not a terror.

Last edited:
Quote:
It's amazing what can work sometimes.

I knew a kid who they thought suffered from...I want to say it was reactive attachment disorder or something like that? They tried everything, timeouts, spankings, writing lines, marching back and forth across the backyard, etc....

Of all things, what ended up working was making him spin in place for a few seconds when the misbehavior started. He'd calm down and then could be reasoned with, and would thus end the behavior that was getting him punished.

The mom caught all kinds of judgmental heck from people who couldn't understand why she didn't have a harsher punishment and probably thought she was a wimp. But she was using what actually got through to the kid and made him stop what he was doing.

Turned out part of his problem was headaches. The spinning helped clear the headache (some kind of inner ear thing) and he went from acting through a haze of pain to just being a normal kid pushing the limits.

Ya never know.

Back
Top Bottom