A little bit younger roo-integration

welby1205

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2015
Western Michigan
I have a Polish Roo who is about 8 weeks, and my girls are about 11 weeks. He has his separate area in our garage so he is safe (which was for quarantine), and a separate run. The girls free range.
This boy wants nothing more than to be out there with them (The only time he's not trying to figure out how to get out of there is when they are around his run, then he's happy), but of course, I've got one hen who's not having it.
At what point do I separate HER and let him hang with the other girls who don't mind him at all? Or do I just let her do her dominant thing? I just don't want her to hurt him (we like him very much).

Very new to chickens, and all of this. I did read through a few other posts that seemed similar. I just am feeling overwhelmed at the moment with all of this.

I have a Polish Roo who is about 8 weeks, and my girls are about 11 weeks. He has his separate area in our garage so he is safe (which was for quarantine), and a separate run. The girls free range.
This boy wants nothing more than to be out there with them (The only time he's not trying to figure out how to get out of there is when they are around his run, then he's happy), but of course, I've got one hen who's not having it.
At what point do I separate HER and let him hang with the other girls who don't mind him at all? Or do I just let her do her dominant thing? I just don't want her to hurt him (we like him very much).

Very new to chickens, and all of this. I did read through a few other posts that seemed similar. I just am feeling overwhelmed at the moment with all of this.

Hi! He's a young cockerel who is wanting to be with the flock, which is natural. Let him out with them, let him range with them and let him roost with them. He'll eventually win the respect of the older hen. She's doing her part too, and teaching him manners. When he matures enough, he'll begin to mate her when she has decided she will tolerate him. The longer you keep them separated, the longer the strife will continue. Let them work it out now, and you'll be surprised at the change one week will bring, especially if he is allowed to roost with them.

I have a polish roo who just became a daddy about 3 weeks ago. The chicks are with a broody hen and they can fly now. It's cute watching them range with the other birds, then fly around in the big coop since they fit in the chain link fence part of it quite easily! The roo makes the most amazing range of noises, in addition to crowing, that I've ever heard a rooster make. He is not human aggressive and is very pretty! Good luck with yours - I enjoy mine.

Hi! He's a young cockerel who is wanting to be with the flock, which is natural. Let him out with them, let him range with them and let him roost with them. He'll eventually win the respect of the older hen. She's doing her part too, and teaching him manners. When he matures enough, he'll begin to mate her when she has decided she will tolerate him. The longer you keep them separated, the longer the strife will continue. Let them work it out now, and you'll be surprised at the change one week will bring, especially if he is allowed to roost with them.

I have a polish roo who just became a daddy about 3 weeks ago. The chicks are with a broody hen and they can fly now. It's cute watching them range with the other birds, then fly around in the big coop since they fit in the chain link fence part of it quite easily! The roo makes the most amazing range of noises, in addition to crowing, that I've ever heard a rooster make. He is not human aggressive and is very pretty! Good luck with yours - I enjoy mine.
This just seems too simple! So basically I should let her go after him, it's what needs to be done....

He isn't used to free ranging so I'm also scared he will run off if she chases him. He is FAST! I have considered putting all of them but her in his temp run... what do you think of that idea? She will probably then just hang around there....

How long has he been in his own run? If he's been there at least a week or two, he should view that as home, but will most likely go to roost with the other birds when they retire for the evening. That's what mine did. He loves to roost with the ladies. My birds are individuals and several of them choose to roost in the small coop, including the mama hen and her chicks. All of the others either like the big coop or the top of the big coop! The rooster will roost in both of them, depending on which hen he wants to be with. Try it and see how it works out. he won't run off - not unless there's an equally attractive female flock close by
droolin.gif

How long has he been in his own run? If he's been there at least a week or two, he should view that as home, but will most likely go to roost with the other birds when they retire for the evening. That's what mine did. He loves to roost with the ladies. My birds are individuals and several of them choose to roost in the small coop, including the mama hen and her chicks. All of the others either like the big coop or the top of the big coop! The rooster will roost in both of them, depending on which hen he wants to be with. Try it and see how it works out. he won't run off - not unless there's an equally attractive female flock close by
droolin.gif

He honestly hasn't been in his run part very long. But in either area he's in, he just wants out!!! He tries and tries to get out.

What do you think of me putting all the hens except the meanie head in the run with him?

I think he'd probably be OK with all of them, but I understand your hesitation. I think it would be fine to put him with the younger birds and leave meanie by herself until he gets used to roosting in one spot with the younger flock. Then, let them all out together during the day and eventually they will all roost together.

He's a pretty bird! Mine looks just like him, but is a buff laced polish, so he's golden in color.

I think he'd probably be OK with all of them, but I understand your hesitation.  I think it would be fine to put him with the younger birds and leave meanie by herself until he gets used to roosting in one spot with the younger flock.  Then, let them all out together during the day and eventually they will all roost together.

He's a pretty bird!  Mine looks just like him, but is a buff laced polish, so he's golden in color.

All of the girls are the same age 11 weeks, so she's not older. I'm thinking I'll do what I was thinking and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom