A little help? Attempting a rescue.

DuckyMom

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 7, 2010
Upstate NY
About 2 months ago Animal Control came to our door to ask us about "3 white ducks" in the local canal. It's fairly well known that we have pet ducks and it was assumed that we had released them.
(I was pretty offended that anyone would expect us to abandon our birds.Were pretty well known by the local rescues, vet offices and several animal control officers because of the rescue work we do with dogs and cats.)

Anyway, later today I was walking along the canal when I spotted the trio of Pekin napping on the water. When I approached them they swam away and I realized the drake was injured, he swam almost sideways, contorting his body to give himself momentum.
Animal control has a policy about not removing an animal unless it is reported as a nuisance. And at this point I know I can't leave an injured duck to fend for himself, but I couldn't even approach him.

Can someone give me any advice about how to catch them as soon as possible? I would like to get the drake help as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Emily

About 2 months ago Animal Control came to our door to ask us about "3 white ducks" in the local canal. It's fairly well known that we have pet ducks and it was assumed that we had released them.
(I was pretty offended that anyone would expect us to abandon our birds.Were pretty well known by the local rescues, vet offices and several animal control officers because of the rescue work we do with dogs and cats.)

Anyway, later today I was walking along the canal when I spotted the trio of Pekin napping on the water. When I approached them they swam away and I realized the drake was injured, he swam almost sideways, contorting his body to give himself momentum.
Animal control has a policy about not removing an animal unless it is reported as a nuisance. And at this point I know I can't leave an injured duck to fend for himself, but I couldn't even approach him.

Can someone give me any advice about how to catch them as soon as possible? I would like to get the drake help as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Emily

Food is the only thing i can think of, can they waddle up on land from the canal? if so maybe set up a dog xpen with the end facing the water open then put food inside and wait, I did this with 2 ducks that were dumped on the river below out home, I just kept bringing feed down and putting it farther and farther back in the pen till they went all the way in then since I was sitting close enough I just as quickly as i could got up and closed the open end. Patience is the key to this, these ducks were very hungary so it took about 4 days till i had them. May take longer if the duck was injured by a human, but food seems to be a driving motivator when it comes to most animals.. Good luck!

Last edited:
Majestic Waterfowl uses a multiple person approach, setting up a pen as Miss Lydia suggested, but with two people in waders or kayaks with a section of flexible fence stretched between them. It needs to be long enough that you don't have to be real close to the ducks when you begin. Two people await on shore, ready to close the on-shore pen behind the ducks.

The two water people get behind the ducks in the water and begin slowly moving toward them, like a U or C shape so the ducks don't escape off to the side. Eventually the people with the water fence go off to the sides of the land fence and the ducks are secured.

I hope this gives you an idea.

I haven't any other suggestions than those good ones already made, but I would love to know how you get on. Please keep us posted.

These all look like great ideas. They are in a fairly public area and don't seem comfortable with people so it might make this a little bit difficult. The other issue is they are surrounded by wild ducks. I think the pen aproach will probably be my best option to start with. If the drake is in worse condition I will try to find a quiet time to herd them into a pen.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll keep you updated.

Emily

These all look like great ideas. They are in a fairly public area and don't seem comfortable with people so it might make this a little bit difficult. The other issue is they are surrounded by wild ducks. I think the pen aproach will probably be my best option to start with. If the drake is in worse condition I will try to find a quiet time to herd them into a pen.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll keep you updated.

Emily

Yes i wouldn't do it during a time of day when there would be alotof people around, that would just make them and you nervous. I sure hope you can get them. How deep is the water and what are your temps right now, if the drake is injured you may be able to wade out and get him with a large net. But that will make the other 2 harder to get.

Back
Top Bottom