A little help with sexing please

Missyktsm

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Just South of Atlanta
I have a chick that my husband picked up at our local feed and seed. I believe it's a cockerel but am unsure and would love some expert opinions.

The store sold him as a Black Sex Link. He is about 2 1/2 months old. His comb is turning a dark orangey- pink and he has VERY small spurs beginning. While the tail feathers are rather pointy, the saddle feathers seem to be more rounded. I've tried all of the old wives tail tricks and some say roo and others hen. At this point I'm clueless.

All input is appreciated.

Pullet.
EDIT: Black sex-link hens/pullets feather out black and red, while black sex-like roos/cockerels feather out barred

Last edited:
Oh yay! I really wanted him to be a her lol. Quick question though, is it normal for pulleys to have spurs? It definitely has small spurs that are getting larger every day.

Oh yay! I really wanted him to be a her lol. Quick question though, is it normal for pulleys to have spurs? It definitely has small spurs that are getting larger every day.
Yes. It is perfectly normal for pullets to have spurs. Some breeds develop spurs quicker, or that are larger. My black sex link pullets developed spurs quicker than any girls I have had.

ya thats a pullet with saddle feathers and hackle feathers are rounded but on a cockerel it is pointed .... i have a hen that has huge spurs well not huge she is a small breed she is a bantam and her spurs are like hooks one of those hit my hand once and it cut my just from it skinning me so yes they can have spurs depends on the breed of how big the spurs will be

Okay, good to know. I'm hoping the spurs don't get to large. This is a really sweet bird and loves to sit on my shoulder and in my granddaughter's lap. I did not want this breed of bird but I have to admit, we're quite taken with her.

Okay, good to know. I'm hoping the spurs don't get to large. This is a really sweet bird and loves to sit on my shoulder and in my granddaughter's lap. I did not want this breed of bird but I have to admit, we're quite taken with her.

Yeah, BSL's are nice birds. She sounds like a sweetheart. Good luck with her, and be expecting some nice sized eggs in the future!

Back
Top Bottom