A Little Spalding History

Quote:
Yeah, I always laughed at the percent thing because it really means nothing, if you were breeding two 1/2 spaldings together you could in theory get a
pure green or pure blue

bird, the chances are astronomically low but it is theoretically possible. When the offspring are getting half of there DNA from each parent you do not know which half they are getting. The fraction really only represents the most likely percentage of green, it could be higher or lower.​

They will NEVER be PURE Green or Blue again they will now become Spaldings, but some will lean more oneway or the other. When some folks say Pure Green others think Pure Muticus type birds and here we go again selling Spaldings as Pures.

Do note the "in theory" part there is a chance that the chick only took the green genes from each parent resulting in a green but the problem is than there are literally millions of genes so your chances of winning the lottery are higher. ALso there would be no way to tell unless someone mapped all the genes of green peafowl, which takes years even with a super computer, and then tested to check the DNA.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, I always laughed at the percent thing because it really means nothing, if you were breeding two 1/2 spaldings together you could in theory get a
bird, the chances are astronomically low but it is theoretically possible. When the offspring are getting half of there DNA from each parent you do not know which half they are getting. The fraction really only represents the most likely percentage of green, it could be higher or lower.

They will NEVER be PURE Green or Blue again they will now become Spaldings, but some will lean more oneway or the other. When some folks say Pure Green others think Pure Muticus type birds and here we go again selling Spaldings as Pures.

Do note the "in theory" part there is a chance that the chick only took the green genes from each parent resulting in a green but the problem is than there are literally millions of genes so your chances of winning the lottery are higher. ALso there would be no way to tell unless someone mapped all the genes of green peafowl, which takes years even with a super computer, and then tested to check the DNA.

In theory, it is possible, but it's so unlikely that to say it's impossible is almost as accurate. The reason is that not only would all the chromosomes from one species parent have to line up into one sperm, and then that sperm be THE ONE that pairs up with an egg which has had the same thing happen, but it ignores crossover. Chromosomes in sperm and egg are rarely exactly as they were inherited from the individual's parents. Dad's #12 chromosome could have had its top piece switched out with Mom's #12 chromosome, etc.

There aren't millions of genes....while the peafowl genome has not been mapped, I'd wager to say it's in the neighborhood of 20,000 genes.

While I personally think the Spaldings are beautiful (and would probably get some eventually, though I actually like the looks of the 50-75% birds best), I am concerned about some things presented on this thread (and images on other websites). As the Spaldings continue to be bred to Greens, and "mistakes" happen with what the birds are called, the genepool of pure Greens in captivity is threatened. I'm wondering if all the conscientious breeders out there would consider voluntarily adding "Spalding" or "Hybrid" (or even just "Sp") to your wing bands, so that one of your Spaldings doesn't later get sold as something it isn't after it leaves your hands. It wouldn't be a perfect system, but it would definitely reduce the "mistakes", and show yourselves as honest breeders who are concerned for the future of pure Green peafowl in captivity.

smile.png

Quote:
pure green or pure blue

bird, the chances are astronomically low but it is theoretically possible. When the offspring are getting half of there DNA from each parent you do not know which half they are getting. The fraction really only represents the most likely percentage of green, it could be higher or lower.​

Thats a good point. now i got one for you...the Jade color was found in spalding....so how can we have jades that are not spalding as listed by UPA.....to me once a spalding alway a spalding.....just one of those thing that make you say hum.......

So my all right only spalding can be jade ??????????

This what I found ""There is no history of the parentage of these three birds.There appears to be some Spalding in them, as the rest of the gentleman’s birds did"" and if this is true maybe the UPA will need to look in to this.

Last edited:
Quote:
no big deal Steve , but that is the only mutation that was found in a spalding........i just found that odd you could have jades without being spalding, sure they may be very low % but still a spalding....

Back
Top Bottom