A Little Spalding History

Hmmm... it's been about 23 years, so trying to remember...

If I recall, we were told to not ask if we can 'Bum a ride'. Here that would just mean asking somebody to drive us somewhere. They said that saying 'bum' could be offensive?
I believe were were told to not take it wrong if somebody asked us for a fag, that it's a cigarette there but is a homosexual here.

I'll see if I can remember more, and ask DH when he gets home from work. He might remember some too.

Quote:
No actually a fagot is a bundle of sticks and using it to describe gay people is highly offensive to gay people, like using the N word.

You need to know what is going on before you jump in, they are talking about the same words with different meanings between the USA and Australia.

This started out being about Spalding Peafowl and it's what not to say in OZ. HMMMMM............

Last edited:
at least spalding is the same both places.

now JELLO and JELLY being the same....i was chatting with someone from down under peanut butter and jelly....can u think of a peanut butter and jello ...
lol.png

Quote:
Well maybe it is a generational thing, but a "fag" was once a synonym for a cigarette used quite frequently in other English speaking countries and regionally in the US.

Quote:
Oh right thanks, sorry for going off topic everyone
smile.png
i was just interested and thought we could have some laughs
lol.png

Hmm bum a ride, not heard that before... the word bum isnt really that offensive... but when combined with the word ride, if your mind is in the gutter... then that could be taken wrong...

As for 'fag' that is used both ways here...

We have peanut butter and jam sandwhiches...

Now back to Spaldings...It would be really good if someone could post pics of 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 6/7, 7/8, etc... showing the increased resemblance to the Javas...

Thanks
cool.png

Zach

Nice looking birds CVF!!

Now i made up this chart, please excuse the use of Reverse Pied, thats just what we call em... please correct me on anything that needs correcting...

BREEDING SPALDING PIEDS (To 7/8)

F1: First Cross
Aim: Introducing Pied gene into Green Peafowl
Reverse Pied Indian Male X Java Hen
=100% Split reverse pied ½ Spalding green peafowl
Pick the best F1 i.e. phenotypically most green blood, Cull the poor quality birds

F1A: First In-cross,
Aim: Securing the Pied markings
F1 ½ Split Reverse Pied Spalding X F1 ½ Split Reverse Pied Spalding
=50% Reverse Pied (½ Green blood) Spalding
50% Split Reverse Pied (½ Green blood) Spalding
Pick the best, i.e. phenotypically most green blood, F1A 1/2 Reverse Pied Spalding, cull, or keep the best splits and repeat the process, being sure to out cross…

F2: Second Cross,
Aim: Increasing % of Green blood
F1A Reverse Pied (½ Green blood)Spalding X Java (or vice versa)
= 100% Split Reverse Pied (2/3 Green blood) Spalding
Pick the best F2 i.e. phenotypically most green blood, Cull the poor quality birds

F2A: Second In-Cross
Aim: Securing Pied Markings
F2 2/3 Split Reverse Pied Spalding X F2 2/3 Split Reverse Pied Spalding
=50% Reverse Pied (2/3 Green blood) Spalding
50% Split Reverse Pied (2/3 Green blood) Spalding
Pick the best, i.e. phenotypically most green blood, F2A 2/3 Reverse Pied Spalding, cull, or keep the best splits and repeat the process, being sure to out cross…

F3: Third Cross,
F2A Reverse Pied (2/3 Green blood) Spalding X Java (or vice versa)
= 100% Split Reverse Pied (3/4 Green blood) Spalding
Pick the best F3 i.e. phenotypically most green blood, Cull the poor quality birds

F3A: Third In-Cross,
Aim: Securing the Pied markings
F3 3/4 Split Reverse Pied Spalding X F3 3/4 Split Reverse Pied Spalding
=50% Reverse Pied (3/4 Green blood) Spalding
50% Split Reverse Pied (3/4 Green blood) Spalding
Pick the best, i.e. phenotypically most green blood, F3A 3/4 Reverse Pied Spalding, cull, or keep the best splits and repeat the process, being sure to out cross…

F4: Fourth Cross,
F3A Reverse Pied (3/4 Green blood) Spalding X Java (or vice versa)
= 100% Split Reverse Pied (4/5 Green blood) Spalding
Pick the best F4 i.e. phenotypically most green blood, Cull the poor quality birds

F4A: Fourth In-Cross
F4 4/5 Split Reverse Pied Spalding X F4 4/5 Split Reverse Pied Spalding
= 50% Reverse Pied (4/5 Green blood) Spalding
50% Split reverse Pied (4/5 Green blood) Spalding
Pick the best, i.e. phenotypically most green blood, F4A 4/5 Reverse Pied Spalding, cull, or keep the best splits and repeat the process, being sure to out cross…

F5: Fifth Cross
F4A Reverse Pied (4/5 Green blood) Spalding X Java (or vice versa)
=100% Split Reverse Pied (5/6 Green blood) Spalding
Pick the best F5 i.e. phenotypically most Green blood, cull the poor quality birds

F5A: Fifth In-Cross
F5 5/6 Split Reverse Pied Spalding X F5 5/6 Split Reverse Pied Spalding
= 50% Reverse Pied (5/6 Green blood) Spalding
50% Split Reverse Pied (5/6 Green blood) Spalding
Pick the best, i.e. phenotypically most green blood, F5A 5/6 Reverse Pied Spalding, cull, or keep the best splits and repeat the process, being sure to out cross…

F6: Sixth Cross
F5A Reverse Pied (5/6 Green blood) Spalding X Java (or vice versa)
=100% Split Reverse Pied (6/7 Green blood) Spalding
Pick the best F6 i.e. phenotypically most Green blood, cull the poor quality birds

F6A: Sixth In-Cross
F6 6/7 Split Reverse Pied Spalding X F6 6/7 Split Reverse Pied Spalding
= 50% Reverse Pied (6/7 Green blood) Spalding
50% Split Reverse Pied (6/7 Green blood) Spalding
Pick the best, i.e. phenotypically most green blood, F6A 6/7 Reverse Pied Spalding, cull, or keep the best splits and repeat the process, being sure to out cross…

F7: Seventh Cross
F6A Reverse Pied (7/8 Green blood) Spalding X Java (or vice versa)
=100% Split Reverse Pied (7/8 Green blood) Spalding
Pick the best F7 i.e. phenotypically most Green blood, cull the poor quality birds

F7A: Sixth In-Cross
F7 7/8 Split Reverse Pied Spalding X F7 7/8 Split Reverse Pied Spalding
= 50% Reverse Pied (7/8 Green blood) Spalding
50% Split Reverse Pied (7/8 Green blood) Spalding
Pick the best, i.e. phenotypically most green blood, F7A 7/8 Reverse Pied Spalding, cull, or keep the best splits and repeat the process, being sure to out cross…

Also CVF, If you didnt know your 2yo 7/8 + cockbird was a spalding, how would you distinguish him from a pure java?? I was thinking maybe ehis nech looks a little thick, and overall a bit stockier than the pure breens i have seen in pictures and videos...

Thanks
cool.png

Zach

Back
Top Bottom